[bestbits] IMPORTANT: Call for nominations for IGF 2016 MAG

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Jan 4 14:42:20 EST 2016

On 4/01/2016 10:38 AM, Ginger Paque wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The call for nominations for the IGF 2016 MAG has been posted on the
> IGF website:
>
> http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/magabout/mag-renewal-announcement
>
> The deadline for submission nominations through the nomination form
> <http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/wks2016/index.php/MAG/nomination> is *_1
> February 2016_. *
> *
> *
> This is an important process, and I encourage interested people to join!

There will be a joint slate of civil society nominations again this
year, coordinated by the Civil Society Coordination Group now jointly
chaired by Ginger Paque and Ian Peter, and with Nadira Alaraj acting as
the liaison with the Best Bits list.  Without detracting from the
ability for individuals to nominate, the importance of a joint slate of
nominations is that this is the way that the other stakeholder groups
interact with the UN, and this lends greater weight to the nominations
than if there is not a coordinated slate of nominees.  So we should all
begin suggesting names to be included in the joint slate.

I've never been on the MAG (the UN's "black box" doesn't like me, so I'd
given up applying), but based on my experiences with the attempted
introduction of more deliberative processes to the 2015 IGF such as the
pilot use of Idea Rating Sheets and the Deliberative Poll side
event—which were strongly resisted by (some) private sector MAG
members—I perceive that it would be very useful this year to have
someone with direct experience of these pilots to be "on the inside" to
advocate for such innovations in IGF processes.  Therefore I would like
to be nominated this year.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en