[bestbits] New european master in digital communications

Raquel Rennó raquelrenno at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:07:31 EST 2016

Sorry for crossposting

> http://dclead.eu/
>
> They offer scholarships. Applications opened until 14 February.
>
> Best,
>
> Raquel
>
> On Jan 14, 2016 4:14 PM, "Agnieszka Lyons" <a.lyons at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> BAAL Language and New Media SIG 2016 Workshop: Multimodality in Social
Media and Digital Environments
>> Queen Mary University of London, 15 April, 2016
>>
>> CALL FOR PAPERS
>> Gestures, positioning in space, and other forms of embodied
communication are frequently recognised as bearing meaning-making potential
in interpersonal interactions and print mediaalongside (or instead of)
language. There is also a feeling of urgency to systematically account for
multimodal aspects of digital environments, particularly as they
increasingly focus on multimodal content and foster intertextuality and
interactivity.
>> This relatively new scholarly interest brings with it a number of
methodological considerations as well as questions related to the
application and interpretation of semiotic resources beyond language in
digital contexts.
>> The aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers interested in
the multimodal aspects of social and digital communication, to discuss
methodological considerations in multimodal social media research, and
explore the possible ways forward. The event will consist of invited
plenaries, paper presentations and discussions.

>> Confirmed invited speakers
>> ·    Prof. Rodney Jones (University of Reading)
>> ·    Dr Myrrh Domingo (IOE UCL)
>>
>> Paper presentations
>> We invite paper presentations which address themes related to
multimodality in digital media, including:
>> ·    Methodological considerations in multimodal social media research
(including multimodal transcription, ethics, and methodological innovations)
>> ·    Multimodal meaning-making in digital environments
>> ·    The interplay of language and multimodal content in digital media
>> ·    Body in and through digital communication
>> ·    Multimodality and inter-disciplinary potential
>> ·    Multimodal literacy in social and digital media
>> ·    Navigating multimodal digital media environments
>>
>> Format for Proposals
>> Proposals of should be submitted to Dr Agnieszka Lyons (
a.lyons at qmul.ac.uk<mailto:a.lyons at qmul.ac.uk>) as a Word document or PDF
file, containing the following information:

>> ·    Title of proposal in bold
>> ·    Name of presenter
>> ·    Name and address of institution, telephone and email
>> ·    Abstract text max. 300 words
>> ·    12 pt font, left-aligned, single-spaced
>>
>> Key Dates
>> ·    24 January 2015 - Receipt of Proposals
>> ·    1 February 2015 - Notification of Proposal acceptances
>> ·    15 March 2015 - Payment of fees
>>

>> Cost
>> The fee includes: registration, teas/coffees, and lunch.
>> ·    Full fee - £50
>> ·    BAAL members' fee - £40
>> ·    Concessionary fee - £30
>>

>> Up to 5 concessionary places are available for student or unwaged
members of BAAL. To request one of these places, please contact Agnieszka
Lyons (a.lyons at qmul.ac.uk) Concessionary places will be given on a first
come, first served basis; please apply at point of registration.

Queen Mary University of London, a.lyons at qmul.ac.uk<mailto:
a.lyons at qmul.ac.uk>.

visit http://www.baal.org.uk/sig_lnm.html or the SIG's Facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/languageandnewmedia