[bestbits] Fwd: Re: [IRPCoalition] OECD - what is going on? and what do you need to know?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 20 07:26:22 EST 2016

Lea

Some responses below.

On Monday 08 February 2016 08:42 PM, Lea Kaspar wrote:
> SNIP
>
>     Please see my last email. It begins with "yes, Lea, that can be.."
>     and then it asks for a different thing, "But does there exist any
>     plan of the engaged civil society to tell the forthcoming OECD
>     Ministerial that the model of Internet policy making that they
>     employ is really a inter-governmental (pluri or multi lateral) one
>     and not multistakeholder one, and as such not really acceptable to
>     civil society, even though we may be working with you per force. "
>
>     This response would go for your current email as well.
>

> We have not been engaged in the OECD in the past, so I'm afraid I'm
> not able to answer this question. Perhaps better directed at groups
> who are engaged.

Are you engaged in OECD now?. The key OECD ministerial on Internet
policy issues is right now being prepared for. Good time to either
explain why civil society doesnt make the same demands from OECD's
Internet making processes as it does from the UN or, get up and, make
these demands at the ministerial.  As for directing this to groups that
are already fully engaged with OECD, I dont seen them forthcoming at all.

But, then, let me speak about areas where your organisation Global
Partners has strongly engaged, perhaps more than any other group - the
WSIS plus 10 process. If indeed, as the last para of this email says,
your goal was basically to " push for greater inclusiveness, openness,
and transparency of all relevant UN (or non-UN) institutions", and not
like the US and its gov allies to simply minimise the whole process and
possibilities of its outcomes, why did your groups and many others not
support the G 77 position in the build up for the WSIS to have a full
original WSIS style +10 review, prepcoms and all, which would have
happened in Geneva... I wrote several times to IGC and BB lists about
this problematic stand of CS groups but you or anyone of your group
never engaged.

The original WSIS was not only the most multistakeholder of any UN
process ever, it was more MS than most actual policy processes anywhere,
at least in some key aspects. Any submission by CS would go to the
screen as part of the text under negotiation and it actually needed to
be struck down by negotiating parties, something I have seen nowhere
else. And there were great opportunities of CS self organising, nothing
like that have been seen since. 10 years hence, if we has got that
process, we could have even further improved inclusive-ness and
transparency standards. And there were official regional consultations
in the run up, and so on....... Why did your group and others not
support developing countries' demand to do full scale WSIS plus 10, when
this one issue was the reason for the stand off between developing
countries and developed ones for more than a year. and you know it...
And in all this while, CS, including your group, were doing everything
other than to support a full fledged WSIS plus 10 with its full fledged
prepcom process, which would certainly have had to follow the original
WSIS pattern of inclusiveness.... Why most groups, including yours,
remained close to the US and its allies' position on simply minimise the
WSIS, which then ended up  getting folded into a stump process at NY,
and immediately as it happened, the same people begun to lament its non
participativeness. Wasnt it always known that a UNGA linked NY based
process would be like that, and if we really wanted a fully open process
we should simply have supported developing countries in their demand for
a full WSIS +10 process rather than supporting US and its allies whose
main objective was simply to see through the WSIS +10 as a kind if
unavoidable evil with minimum damage and then get on to their own
Internet policy devices like at the OECD .   So, well, this issue is
also fully connected to the OECD issue, and the whole issue of how
actually global Internet policy, in both de jure and de facto ways, is
actually made has to be seen in one frame. It does not work to profess
ignorance about some parts, and that is it. GP runs probably the biggest
IG capacity building program for developing countries, so I think it is
good to know and engage with the whole integrated scene.

Even in the CS process for a statement for the WSIS + 10, did your group
not resist the idea for a summit meeting as the next stop after WSIS 10
completely in keeping with your stand in the run up to WSIS + 10. Apart
from the know precedent of original WSIS, whose participatory format
will be default for any full scale WSIS meeting, we know from other
global summits like for climate change, SDGs, etc, that such alone
afford a real large framework for CS participation and not NY based
stump meetings, which was in the current case a direct result of the
intransigent stand of US and its allies, supported fully by the tech
community, business and a large part of CS, including your group.

So, this position of pushing back UN based processes on Internet policy,
whether participative or not, and by active support or default having
developed/ rich countries only forums to make 'global' policy is an
integrated , large picture one, which is what I am critiquing.

>     snip
>

> I can't speak for others, and since we haven't been a part of previous
> OECD engagement efforts, it's hard to say whether and how much our
> potential approach at the OECD would have been similar to our approach
> in other processes. What I can say is that our engagement strategy in
> the recent WSIS Review was in large part formed as a response to the
> official framework for input issued by the UN. We were responding to a
> specific request for input on specific text which had a specific
> section on internet governance. Hence, an explicit position on
> governance as reflected in a number of submissions we worked on during
> the Review.

As I discuss above, your group and many others were of course actively
involved in the run up to the WSIS plus 10 as well. On specific text as
well, as I ask above, why your resistance to even in 5 or 10 years to
hold a full summit with full prepcoms etc??? And that when your group
works closely with developed country controlled global processes like
the London cyberspace process, Inter gov Coalition for Internet freedom,
and so on, and as I suspect from what you write you may also be
beginning to engage with OECD.

> This was also the case in our engagement in, for instance, NETmundial.
> On the other hand, during our engagement at the ITU Plenipotentiary in
> 2014 (which is arguably a more legally binding space than the OECD),
> we focused very little on governance frameworks etc. This was again in
> part mandated by the official Plenipot agenda and modalities for
> participation, but also our understanding of where the greatest gains
> could be made at the time (for instance, openness and transparency of
> the ITU itself was something we spent a lot of time working on).
>

>     When in fact it is so easy to do it by pointing to the hypocrisy
>     of OECD nations who speaking with a double tongue depending on
>     whether at the UN or the OCED. Why do we let go this excellent
>     opportunity?
>

> Agreement on what makes an 'excellent opportunity' as you put it,
> requires some common understanding of ultimate aims. Perhaps this is a
> point worth discussing further. Speaking for myself and GPD, I can
> tell you that we are not looking for opportunities to set up a new
> multilateral UN body to deal with internet issues, be it at the OECD,
> WGEC, or elsewhere.

Lea, we cannot keep speaking past each other like this.... *There is no
need to create a multilateral body on IG issues at the OECD, there
already is one* -- and that one is having its four yearly ministerial in
a few days!!! This is the one on which you refuse to proffer your views,
vis a vis the possibility of a similar body/ process in the UN. And of
course if you do not consider this OECD's Internet policy body as
multilateral (in inter-gov sense) you please tell me. That is the
original point of discussion.

> SNIP
> If this was the case, it does sound like a missed opportunity! I agree
> that we should aim to be more consistent in our engagement efforts
> with these bodies. Often though, resources get in the way.

But then the OECD ministerial  is just a few days away, and the involved
CS can take a stand now and issue a statement that we do not find the
OECD Internet policy body as multistakeholder, and they should change
it. We can draft a CS statement here. Do you agree? It would be strange
to rue an earlier one as a missed opportunity when we seem not ready to
take an opportunity that faces us right now!

> snip
>
> Hope this at least answers some of your questions. I have just seen a
> follow up email from you which asks for call to action to engage in
> the new WGEC. As I mentioned above, we do not intend to push for a new
> ML Internet body,

I dont know whether it is a ML or MS body, my question is, are you ready
to propose an Internet policy body in the UN, with exactly the same
stakeholder participation design as of the current OCED's Internet
policy body (I leave it to you to call it MS or ML) ? If not, why not?

> but I'd be more than happy to coalesce around strategies to push for
> greater inclusiveness, openness, and transparency of all relevant UN
> (or non-UN) institutions. Would this be something you'd be interested
> in working on?

We have signed common statements with your organisation for
inclusiveness in WSIS process and in ITU, and every other place. And so
you know my answer, which is yes. If any other statement is being
proposed, you know we would sign it. I dont answer your question by
saying I havent looked into it enough, or we work more with other
forums, or that we focus on substantive rather than process, or.... This
when actually my org has at this time time zero IG funds, and I am the
only one who is able to give some time to IG, dividing that little time
between national issues and global - which is must more than can be said
about GPD which indeed focussed on the global stage and is remarkably
well provided.

And since I give precise answers to your proposals, pl give to mine as
well about OECD versus UN Internet policy processes, rather than saying
that you havent looked into this issue yet.

Basically, either we write a statement to forthcoming OECD ministerial
that their Internet policy process is ML and not MS, and we want it to
be MS, and it is particularly hypocritical for OECD countries to do this
when they at the UN says Internet policy making should be MS, and on
this ground obstruct any UN based policy development policies?

Or, we support my proposal to have an Internet policy body for the UN on
exactly the same model as one in the OECD, which in reality simply means
that we are kind of asking that a particular model of Internet policy
making, with global impact, which at present  includes only 35 or so
richest countries expands to allow all countries, rich or poor.

Which one are you, and others here, willing to do?

Thanks, parminder