[bestbits] Fwd: Re: [IRPCoalition] OECD - what is going on? and what do you need to know?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 7 04:57:25 EST 2016

Dear Tamir

Thanks for your response, which is the most well argued and
comprehensive one that I have ever received for this question that I
have asked several times in the last many years. So thanks again.

There is another important aspect of your email that I would like to
respond to but let me first do so for

    "Now, it may be that the IT 4 Change vision for CIRP was nothing
    like this, or that these elements could have been stripped from the
    CIRP proposal -- and your account suggests this was proposed at a
    later stage (perhaps too late?) -- but as presented these command
    and control elements seemed as integral if not primary functions.
    Most, if not all of the commentary regarding the CIRP proposal
    related to this particular aspect of the proposal, which is the fact
    that it would bring about multi-lateral control as opposed to simply
    creating yet one more policy-making venue."

I will come to IT for Change part the last bec it is the least important
thing here.

The "command and control" aspect of CIRP that you point to chiefly is
about the ICANN oversight part (the treaty facilitating aspect being
common to OECD and CoE committees and thus is symmetric ). Please note
that the CIRP proposal clearly says that it has picked CIRP's mandate
items from the institutional models suggested by the Working Group on
IG's report. This report clearly says that the oversight role is the
role currently undertaken by US Dept of Commerce. Obviously, therefore
the CIRP proposed only to take up that role which is currently played by
the US Dept of commerce.

The question then that I have for you; how is ICANN working under the
oversight of US government not a 'command and control' structure, and I
hear it always referred to as a multistakeholder structure, but if the
same role was played together by all countries it became a 'command and
control' structure?  (The current IANA transition process not being
relevant here bec it was not envisaged at the time that CIRP was
proposed and then roundly criticised).

Second part: "these elements could have been stripped from the CIRP
proposal -- and your account suggests this was proposed at a later stage
(perhaps too late?)" (from your email below.

I have said this before, the proposal itself said, we are open to
discussing, the Indian gov rep at Nairobi IGF, immediately after the
proposal as made, said, we are open to discuss and change it, and at the
next CSTD meeting, India again said we are open to change it and invited
ideas. No response, other than, the whole thing should simply be
abandoned. Most importantly, India actually separated the oversight part
from that for 'other public policy making' in its submission to the UN
Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation whose precise mandate was to come
up with an appropriate global Internet governance related institutional
architecture, esp for 'public policy making' plus ICANN oversight. Civil
society members were in there in that WG, and those outside made written
submissions, over two rounds, but any proposal to have an OECD kind of
Internet related public policy mechanism remained fully ignored, and
considered as multilateralist and therefore evil...

So, I cannot see how you and others decide that it "was too late"... The
right to make the rules of game, and what is the right time, what is the
right way to propose a thing, and so on, is one of the biggest forms of
hegemonic power.... I dont accept it. The proposal still stands today,
you, and others,  need to comment on it as it is being proposed to you,
as I am proposing to you, and not take the cover of, that was the wrong
time, and the wrong way, and so on...

As I said, the WG on enhanced cooperation is being reconstituted, you
and others here are global players in the IG space by choice and
profession; my question to you all is, what is your response to my
proposal (forget others) to develop a Internet related public policy
development mechanism inside the UN "on the exact model" as it happens
in the OECD. I will await yours and other people's response. And if I do
not get it, keep asking this question. This is about the denial of the
right of self determination and right of democratic participation of the
huge majority of the world's population (non OECD countries). A right,
which in view is, even prior to all other rights, a right which
determines what rights are...

Lastly, your comment on ITfC's positions: yes, we have always asked for
an OECD like Internet related policy mechanism in the UN, in the exact
model of how it works in the OECD, where it gets called as a
multistakeholder model. For ICANN oversight we has for a different kind
of model. Not only ITfC but JNC (Just Net Coalition) has made similar
demands (see our submissions to the the NetMundial Conference)... But
both IT for Change and JNC get branded as pro - multilateralism and much
of the dominant civil society here by contrast as pro
multi-stakeholderism, while, as should be obvious from this discussion,
the *real and only difference* is that we refuse to work with US- and
OCED-centric 'global' policy and IG models and ask instead to have all
countries equally involved, while preserving the same amount of
multistakeholder participation as it exists in extant models today. (I
say this with full authority, and am ready to stand by it.) But the fact
that the mentioned labels have been so successfully affixed and
sustained speaks of the power of hegemonic discourse, even within the so
called civil society... I think we need to be doing better than that. We
need to be able to discuss things opening, and provide answers to the
questions that get asked about our positions. If even civil society does
not do it, who would.

parminder