[bestbits] SFLC.in Newsletter November 2016

Mishi Choudhary mishi at softwarefreedom.org
Tue Dec 6 15:10:06 EST 2016

SFLC.in Newsletter November 2016
SFLC.in <http://sflc.in/newsletters/>

/Defender of your Digital Freedom/

Byte Size

In November, we released our report titled Online Harassment: A form of
Censorship, which was followed by a panel discussion featuring the key
note address by Mr. Baijayant Panda, Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha).
This report is a combined product of insights received from multiple
roundtables with all stakeholders, interviews with people who have been
targets of online harassment, and internal research and discussions.
Moreover, we researched on the details of SWAYAM, India's MOOC project
and the use of proprietary software to develop it. We also created a
time-line of the events that ensued in this decision within the MHRD and
other involved bodies. Besides this, SFLC.in supported Mozilla to
organize a short discussion on Equal Rating, an effort to provide
content and platoform neutral internet connectivity to the unconnected.
Our Counsel, Prasanth Suguthan participated in the Digital Citizen
Summit in Bangalore where he spoke on a panel regarding privacy, big
data, data mining. Our report on online harassment and the opinions of
panelists were discussed in detail and covered by various media houses.
The views of Mishi Choudhary on equal rating were also taken on record
by many publications.

A detailed report of our work follows.

Thank you for your support!

Online Harassment: A form of Censorship

Aadhaar violations
<https://mosaico.io/files/e1durvn/saynotosoftwarepatents-rect.jpg>
Report: Online Harassment – A Form of Censorship

On November 22, 2016, we released our report titled “Online Harassment:
A Form of Censorship”, which was discussion followed by a** discussion
by panel including, Mr. Baijayant Panda, Mr. Arvind Gupta, Ms.Mahima
Kaul, Mr. Chetan Krishnaswamy, Ms. Anja Kovacs, Mr. Saikat Datta, and
Mr. Anyesh Roy. This Report compiles  findings from a year of research
into the issue, and attempts to provide an insight into the relevant
national and socio-political factors influencing exploitative uses of
the Internet.

Show More
<http://sflc.in/online-harassment-a-form-of-censorship-release-of-report-and-panel-discussion-november-22-new-delhi/>

Free and Open Source Software

SWAYAM: From Open Source to Proprietary for India’s MOOCs

Recently, MHRD decided that SWAYAM, India's MOOC platform would be
developed using proprietary software. We analysed this journey that
started with preference for open source software and devolved to the use
of proprietary. We have also written a joint letter to the MHRD in this
regard.

Show More
<http://sflc.in/swayam-from-open-source-to-proprietary-software-for-indias-moocs/>

Timeline for India’s MOOC platform- SWAYAM

For a chronological understanding, we converted our research on the
SWAYAM platform in a timeline. This contains the recommendations and
minutes of the Committee, sub committee made for this purpose, along
with details about the RFPs, and the detailed decision making involved
in this process.

Show More  <http://sflc.in/timeline-for-indias-mooc-platform-swayam/>

Events

Equal Rating High Tea

Mozilla Corporation and SFLC.in organized an event on November 18th,
2016 in New Delhi to explore the challenges and solutions of bringing
all people online through a panel discussion consisting of Jochai Ben
Avie, Mishi Choudhary, Smriti Parsheera, and Mahesh Murthy.

Show More  <http://sflc.in/equal-rating-high-tea-november-18-new-delhi/>

Digital Citizen Summit
Prasanth Sugathan was part of a panel on privacy at the Digital Citizen
Summit organized by Digital Empowerment Foundation  in Bangalore on 11th
November, 2016. This session focused on digital privacy, big data,
encryption, digital attacks, data mining, cyber security, anonymity, and
surveillance

Show More
<http://sflc.in/digital-citizen-summit-by-digital-empowerment-foundation-november-11/>

SFLC.in featured in the news

*'Mozilla's Equal Rating Innovation Challenge Aims at Free Access
Solutions Without Restrictions'
<http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/mozillas-equal-rating-innovation-challenge-aims-at-free-access-solutions-without-restrictions-1628082>,
November 21, 2016, Gadgets 360*: As a part of the event organized by
Mozilla and supported by SFLC.in on equal rating, our Executive
Director, Mishi Choudhary was quoted on the topic, remarking that,
"/connecting the unconnected while propagating the values of an open
Internet is what we all must work for, Mozilla's challenge is the
correct way to solve the problem of access. I hope for more such
initiatives to be rolled out and we can address the challenge
innovatively to educate every being on earth through an open Internet."/

*/'/To avoid being harassed online, you need to protect your identity
<http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/to-avoid-being-harassed-online-you-need-to-protect-your-identity-report/articleshow/55570570.cms>',
November 23, 2016, Economic Times:* The Economic Times covered our
recently published report on Online Harassment: A form of Censorship and
reported on it saying that the voices of abuse through social media can
be tackled only by educating people of the existing mechanisms for
combating online harassment

*'Understanding Online Harassment and What to Do About It',
<http://thewire.in/81937/understanding-online-harassment-and-what-to-do-about-it/>November
23, 2016, The Wire:* Our report on Online harassment was also covered by
the Wire where along with providing gists from the report and views of
panelists, it also quotes Mishi Choudhary as commenting that,/“The
internet and social media has created a space where individuals can
speak to multitudes and the multitudes can speak back.”/ She further
remarked that, /“this is only the beginning of a long conversation, not
a set of answers, and its a conversation we all need to have together,
involving all the stakeholders.”/

*'Social media platforms to be more responsive on harassment',
<http://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/report-urges-social-media-platforms-to-be-more-responsive-in-content-moderation-4391133/>
November 23, 2016, The Indian Express: *The suggestions made in our
report for intermediaries and platforms to check online harassment were
reported by the Indian Express along with quoting Mishi Choudhary as
saying, /“This report’s goal is to explore the phenomenon in detail,
document how people experience the effects of harassment in their lives
as we work towards finding a workable and understandable ways to address
the problem.”/
SFLC.in, K-9, Second Floor, Birbal Road, Jangpura Ext, New Delhi - 110014
mail at sflc.in | +91 11 4358 7126