[bestbits] Fwd: Launch of "Global Connect"

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:03:54 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Bhardwaj, Manu*
Date: Monday, September 28, 2015
Subject: Launch of "Global Connect"
To: "Bhardwaj, Manu"

Dear Colleagues,

On Sunday, we launched our new diplomatic initiative called “Global
Connect” at UNHQ to bring 1.5 additional people online by 2020.  For this
special event, we were joined by Dr. Jim Kim of the World Bank, the
Presidents of Estonia and Tanzania, senior technology executives and global
NGOs.

A few key highlights ---

·         “Global Connect” was affirmatively supported in the formal
statements of Jim Kim of the World Bank, the Presidents of Estonia and
Tanzania, as well as the international tech companies and NGO leaders
present.  For example, ITI released this multi-company press statement
supporting “Global Connect” ---  news release
<http://redirect.state.sbu/?url=http://www.itic.org/news-events/news-releases/tech-industry-releases-statements-lauding-state-department-s-global-connect-initiative>
and blog
<http://redirect.state.sbu/?url=http://www.itic.org/news-events/techwonk-blog/state-departments-global-connect-initiative-is-critical-step-in-bridging-the-digital-divide>.
In addition, global NGOs released this statement --
http://bestbits.net/global-connect-initiative/.

·         Under Secretary Novelli delivered a statement on behalf of
Secretary Kerry, available here – http://www.state.gov/e/rls/rmk/247375.htm

·         Megan Smith, Chief Technology Officer at the White House,
attended our “Global Connect” event and delivered a formal intervention at
the session.

On Sunday, “Global Connect” was also formally supported by statements from
MCC CEO Dana Hyde, USAID’s Acting Administrator, and the FCC, among others
--

·         CEO Hyde stated: “Information and communication technologies have
become a platform for economic growth as fundamental as highways, power

·         Ambassador Alonso E. Lenhardt, Acting Administrator of USAID
stated: "All across the globe, ordinary citizens rely on the Internet for
accessing and sharing information, growing businesses, and holding
governments accountable.  But today, 4 billion people still cannot access
this transformative tool. Building on USAID-supported programs like the
Alliance for Affordable Internet and the Global Broadband and Innovations
program, we are proud to join our colleagues across the U.S. Government in
supporting Global Connect. In addition to establishing a unified vision
for accessible digital infrastructure, a coordinated U.S. Government
approach will pave the way for wide-ranging partnerships with the private
sector, civil society, and other stakeholders to bring the Internet to
all."

·         The FCC issued the following statement – “We have observed how a
free and open Internet can transform economies, nations, communities and
individual existence.   Access to the Internet is critical to empowering a
modern and connected life, but this vision depends on the real world
infrastructure and technology that supports a globally connected world.
The FCC joins our counterparts and stakeholders around the world in this
important initiative to make Global Connect a success.  We look forward to
contributing to the goals of Global Connect through our ongoing capacity
building and development initiatives.”

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you’d like more information about
our initiative or next steps.  Thanks for everyone’s support these past few
weeks (and months).

Full webcast available here --
http://webtv.un.org/watch/development-in-the-digital-age-high-level-panel-discussion/4513663507001.

Manu

Manu K. Bhardwaj

Senior Advisor and Staff Coordinator for IT and Internet Diplomacy Matters

Office of the Under Secretary

U.S. Department of State

(202) 647-7327

*A High-Level panel discussion in the margins of the UN Summit on Post-2015
Development Agenda: *

*Development in the Digital Age*

Sunday 27 September 2015

UNHQ, CR3

Co-hosted by Estonia, the United States, the World Bank Group and the World
Economic Forum, the panel discussion focused on the greater use of digital
technologies as a more effective force for development through government
initiatives as well as various private sector actions. The U.S. State
Department also announced a new initiative, called “Global Connect,” that
aims to bring an additional 1.5 billion people online by 2020 and further
extend the economic and social benefits of connectivity to those who remain
without access.

President Ilves of Estonia, President Kim of the World Bank, President
Kikwete, NSRC’s Steve Song, and Ericsson CEO Vestberg all expressed support
for the Department’s new initiative, first previewed by Secretary Kerry in
Korea earlier this summer.

*H.E. Mr. Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of Estonia *spoke about the rapid
digital development of Estonia and the necessity of implementing national
legislative policies which create an enabling environment for growth for
businesses and consumers.

*President Jim Yong Kim, of the World Bank *highlighted the importance of
ensuring that technological benefits are widely shared due to the impact
connectivity has on global economy.

*Mr. Kaushik Sabu, Senior Vice-President and Chief Economist of the World
Bank *focused on the potential of digital technologies to have a real,
humanitarian impact on individual lives.

*H.E. Mr. J.M. Kikwete, President of the United Republic of Tanzania *spoke
on technological advancements the Tanzanian government has made and how
crucial investment in digital technologies is for developing world,
highlighting the potential for such technologies to contribute to the
“widening and deepening” of good governance and democracy through open data
access.

*Ms. Catherine Novelli, U.S. Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth,
Energy, and the Environment *spoke on the behalf of the U.S Secretary of
State and announced the US initiative “Global Connect,” the aim of which is
to bring 1.5 billion people online by 2020 by establishing multifaceted
partnerships with all development stakeholders, including national
governments, development agencies, NGOs and the private sector. The
initiative has three goals, that 1) all countries integrate Internet
connectivity as a key part of their own national development strategies, 2)
international development institutions prioritize digital access – as the
World Bank is now doing in their upcoming World Development Report focused
on the impact of the Internet and digital technologies; and 3) ensuring
that innovative industry-driven solutions to extend connectivity are
catalyzed and supported.” In addition, U/S Novelli stressed how we will
bring together governments, development agencies, industry, NGOs and other
stakeholders to focus our efforts to bridge the digital divide. In doing
this, we recognize that building internet infrastructure is only one step
in digital inclusion. Creating a policy environment that sustains a healthy
internet is critical for long-term success.  Going forward, she stressed
that we intend to partner with interested countries to develop tailor-made
strategies to create the right enabling environments and how these policies
will not only spur connectivity, but also entrepreneurship, cross-border
information flows and open and competitive marketplaces.

*Mr. Steve Song, of the Network Startup Resource Center * is also the
founder of Village Telco, a social enterprise that builds low-cost WiFi
mesh VoIP technologies to deliver affordable voice and Internet service in
underserviced areas, and highlighted the impact fiber network technology
has had on the developing world.

*Mr. Hans Vestberg, CEO of Ericsson, *discussed the role of ICT as the
“most important enabler” of the 17 SDGs and the policies, priorities and
relationships that will be required in order for digital technologies to
have a full impact on the current state of  development.  CEO Vestberg
voiced his support for the State Department’s new diplomatic effort.

--

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*