[bestbits] Update: Indian Encryption Policy

Kevin Bankston bankston at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Sep 22 12:10:31 EDT 2015

In regard to the continuing/future threat of a revised proposal, I think it’s worth highlighting that the U.S. President’s office is considering several options in regard to encryption policy (based on this leaked memo: http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/read-the-nsc-draft-options-paper-on-strategic-approaches-to-encryption/1742/ <http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/national/read-the-nsc-draft-options-paper-on-strategic-approaches-to-encryption/1742/>), and one of them—option 1—would be to repudiate encryption backdoors, with an eye toward influencing other countries' behavior on this issue.  To the extent we can figure out ways to leverage this example to push the White House in the right direction right now, it may pay healthy dividends later in India and around the world.
Kevin S. Bankston
Director, New America's Open Technology Institute
Co-Director, New America’s Cybersecurity Initiative
1899 L Street NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
bankston at opentechinstitute.org
Phone: 202-596-3415