[bestbits] [governance] Taking place next week: Asian Regional Consultation on the WSIS+10 Review - remote participation available

Valeria Betancourt valeriab at apc.org
Wed Sep 9 23:24:06 EDT 2015

Dear Parminder,

I am sending a message on behalf of my colleague Chat Garcia Ramilo, who
is not subscribed to these lists.

Best,

Valeria
----

APC has been engaged in the WSIS process since the 2003 phase, which
helped shape the Civil Society Declaration to WSIS and has been actively
participating in each phase of follow up on the WSIS outcomes as well as
the Review. Unfortunately, the WSIS+10 Overall Review is less inclusive
than the WSIS summits and many other global internet governance
processes convened since. APC has therefore identified how we from civil
society can get engaged and influence the process both formally and
informally, including participation in regional meetings that open up
opportunities for coordination and input among stakeholders in Latin
America, Africa and Asia.

In the absence of official publicly funded review meetings, APC welcomed
the opportunity to collaborate and work with other stakeholders in Asia
in covening a regional meeting. As Anja explained, the organisers put in
funds, time and effort voluntarily. The organisers all identified
participants from our organisations and networks who we thought can
contribute to the discussions. APC drew from our organisational budget
to fund our members and staff and from projects to fund partners where
this is possible. In total we funded 7 participants with support from
Sida, DGIS and EIDHR.