[bestbits] [governance] CIS comments to the ICG

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Sep 9 04:47:57 EDT 2015

Dear Pranesh and Jyoti,

Thanks for this excellent paper - also extremely well researched and
presented..
I fully agree with it.

(Please note that in the sentence "The consolidated proposal as it
stands is reflective of a truly global multi-stakeholder Internet
community", evidently, a 'NOT' is missing.)

The problem is that even with such serious and widespread
dissatisfaction with the final proposals on the table, it is being
pushed and will be legitimised as having the consensus of the community.
And if you ask what is meant by 'community' you get very slippery
with the ICANN processes, and at other times it can be the global
public, in which sense I understand the NTIA framed its criterion of
transition of oversight to 'the global multistakeholder community'. It
is between these two very different meanings of 'community' that the
entire exercise hides its lack of legitimacy, and is able to produce
'outcomes' that merely cement the status quo, as you argue so well. This
I think is particularly disingenuous and must be called out.

It is, unfortunately, a good case study of how 'openness' can be twisted
(openness in the meaning of 'flexibility' instead of what it should be,
'equitable participation').

Also, points to some theoretical problems with multistakehoderism. A
stakeholder gets defined by the degree of engagement (this is how the
ICANN oversight process gets away with its definition of 'community')
while 'public' is defined by default political ownership, whether or not
one is able to engage, and independent of the degree of actual engagement.

parminder