[bestbits] Human Rights in ICANN

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Wed Oct 21 03:42:36 EDT 2015

Hi all,

A quick reminder, the session is about to start in 20 minutes, you can
join here:
https://meetings.icann.org/en/dublin54/schedule/wed-ccwp-human-rights-mo
rning

Or have a look at the new report here:
https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38148/ICANN_CS_to_resp
ect_HR_report_ALL_FINAL-PDF.pdf

Or have a look at all documents concerning the Cross Community Working
Party on Human Rights here:

https://tinyurl.com/cchumanrights

All the best,

Niels

On 10/19/2015 06:24 PM, Marilia Maciel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A few ICANN meetings ago, a Working Party on ICANN and Human Rights
> has been formed. This is a lose group of coordination with the
> participation of several ICANN constituencies to discuss the impact
> that some of ICANN's policies and procedures have on human rights,
> such as freedom of expression, privacy, freedom of association and
> due process, among others.
>
> There are several policy development processes to be started soon
> on new gTLDs, WHOIS, etc that will have significant implications on
> Human Rights. This group is both trying to intervene substantially
> in these policies so they comply with human rights standards and
> also to introduce the adequate procedures to ensure that Human
> Rights assessments take place in due time.
>
> We are currently in Dublin for the 54th ICANN meeting. A summary
> of sessions that will touch upon human rights or that are related
> to the topic can be found here: bit.ly/1LSIbvQ
> <http://t.co/yJvbSnrcqT>
>
> All session count on remote participation:
> https://meetings.icann.org/en/dublin54/schedule-full
>
> Several documents of interest have been produced so far by the
> Council of Europe, Article 19, and much work has been developed
> with the input from various members of this list.
>
> http://www.coe.int/t/informationsociety/Source/DGI_2014_12E%20Report%2
0ICANN%20and%20Human%20Rights%20updated%208%20Oct%202014.pdf

https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38003/ICANN_report_A5-
for-webv2.pdf
> https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38148/ICANN_CS_to_re
spect_HR_report_ALL_FINAL-PDF.pdf