[bestbits] Technology Facilitation Mechanism (was Re: [governance] NOTE - Call for Nomination: Stakeholder Speakers at the General Assembly High-level Meeting on WSIS+10)

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Sat Oct 31 07:37:45 EDT 2015

Dear Ephraim,

I think you have just said something really important. I remember posting to the ISOC policy list about the TFM very early, right after it was agreed by the UNGA in late July, and I provided further updates to try and generate interest subsequently. I saw very little response or reply from anyone about it and as you say the deadline is now passed. Of those nominated or who put their names forward there were very few from the traditional IG or WSIS CS community - and few from other WSIS communities either.

I actually think the TFM will end up being a key, if not the key, forum where ICT4D issues are discussed and taken forward. Its annual forum will be in New York immediately before the main political SDG follow-up meeting each year and so it will naturally attract very high level engagement, and since it has a multi-stakeholder model that is actually quite similar to the IGF, it seems to me the IGF will need to think very carefully about how to stay politically relevant. I’m sorry to say it …

More about the TFM below from something I drafted for others: