[bestbits] [governance] The decentralization of IP addresses

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sun Nov 29 21:52:24 EST 2015

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 1:59 AM, Jean-Christophe Nothias <jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com> wrote:
> - David gave some more detailed thoughts about "understanding names and numbers". Saying that names are abstractions is fine, but short of clarity; writing that 'systems geographically based involve a great deal of governance' is also confusing. It is not clear if David meant that today IPs are living their life with no governance at all, or if a different model for handling IPs would be such a burden on economic or technological grounds.

	Why would you take a comment out of context, and then complain that out of context it isn’t clear what I meant? I said that 'systems geographically based involve a great deal of governance’ as a straight rejoinder to the idea that we should go for the geographic proposal because ‘we need in the future no Internet Governance’.

> Could David provide an analysis comparing the two systems with pro and cons, data and figures?

	No, because one is a purely notional proposal lacking any detail, but I can definitely say that the geographical organisation of the telephone and postal systems has not resulted in them being free of the need for governance. Rather, the ITU and IPU seem to spend a lot of time on governance of those systems, and then there is a lot of governance at the local level in addition.

> David recommended to ask ITU for feedbacks on regional and national governance. Another taste for sarcasm it seems.

	I would have characterised it as ‘dismissively pointing out the obvious’, but you can call it sarcasm if you want. It remains both true and obvious that communications systems that are organised on a geographic basis still seem to involve a great deal of governance at both the global and national level.

	Cheers

		David