[bestbits] [governance] NOTE - Call for Nomination: Stakeholder Speakers at the General Assembly High-level Meeting on WSIS+10

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sun Nov 1 00:12:12 EDT 2015

Hi Lea,

I was involved in the process last year, which was a little different.  Quite a number of civil society people were among those who put their names forward for the selection committee and were among the 18 or so who participated in a slightly messy voting process with confusing spreadsheets and 70 or so candidates. Among the CS people who participated here were myself, Analia, Anriette, Richard Hill, Parminder, Avri. Of the above, to my knowledge, only Analia myself and Anriette took the opportunity to participate in the conference call which spent most if its time eliminating WEOG males who dominated the original voting process. We were able to get some good civil society names up, and also speak successfully against some less satisfactory reps from other constituencies. But that was a less organised process than this appears to be, where decision making was really left to those who bothered to participate in the call. I think everyone realised it was far from satisfactory for a number of reasons.

As regards other avenues for CS participation – I confess I had not heard of the TFMA, and noone else on CSCG raised it. I guess this is one of the reasons why I feel someone else should take over my role, as I am becoming less involved and aware of the various fora evolving in this space which civil society should be actively involved in.

Ian