[bestbits] [governance] Civil society transparency

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu May 28 07:39:54 EDT 2015

Thanks Ian

Responding to the two issues you raise.

On Monday 25 May 2015 12:27 PM, Ian Peter wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> Two issues in response to your suggestion.
>
> Firstly, the suggestion that CSCG do this. CSCG consists of five
> people who are pretty busy co-ordinating coalitions of CS
> organisations (BB, JNC, IGC, APC, NCSG) and myself as an independent
> chair. The role of CSCG is to ensure a co-ordinated civil society
> response and conduit when it comes to making civil society
> appointments to outside organisations.  It has no staff, no funding,
> not even a formal charter.  In order to address some of the issues it
> faces I have suggested from time to time  that the membership be
> expanded to include say 3 more respected civil society people who are
> not formal representatives of coalitions of CS organisations. The last
> time I suggested this it was met with some strongly worded negative
> this. So for these reasons I don’t think CSCG is the right
> organisation to take on this task. Perhaps IGC?

I suggested CSCG bec it has reps from major CS networks and so there was
a common ownership over what should be a commonly owned and directed
initiative so that there is scope of bias, and appropriate avenues of
recourse exist. I still think CSCG the right body for it, but IGC would
do as well. As for resources, let me make this blind offer, I will try
and raise resources for one person devoting her half/ quarter time, who
can be housed in a reputed org with a neutral image, for this purpose.
More resources are needed initially for setting it up, but once set up
it wont require much. I still do not know from where id seek resources
but I am confident that with so much funds coming into the IG space
someone somewhere would give a few thousand dollars for overall
transparency and accountability in the sector. That should address and
settle the resources argument in terms of my proposal.

> Secondly, I wonder how it would work in CS which has so many people
> who are basically acting as individuals rather than representatives of
> organisations. Many if not most of us also have non CS affiliations
> (eg membership of ISOC, business or governmental employees if we are
> cs volunteers, academic postings etc) so the “pure” CS rep is probably
> a bit hard to find. I am not sure what we would gain by having a
> register of all our multiple affiliations which would need regular
> updating to be of any use.  I think we need to ensure our major
> coalitions (BB, JNC, IGC, APC, NCSG) act transparently, and by and
> large I think they do. But I am not sure of the value of extending
> this to what is probably tens of thousands of members or organisations
> affiliated with these larger groups.

Almost all CS transparency and accountability initiatives are focussed
on organisations and not individuals, bec of the obvious reasons that
the former have a greater role and impact. One  may not need such
processes for individuals, other than perhaps when any nominations or
appointments are being on behalf of civil society , in which case anyone
would agree  that some basic declarations should in any case be
necessary, and such simple and basic decelerations alone are what my
proposed initiative asks for.

> Over to others to discuss. I am not opposed to the suggestion that
> something be done in this area,  but I think we need to refine any
> such idea somewhat,

Please give suggestions.

> and if the aim is somehow to enhance CS credibility and transparency
> in this space, perhaps we should also discuss what other measures
> might also assist this.

And for this as well.

Thanks again. parminder