[bestbits] Civil society transparency

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon May 25 07:47:48 EDT 2015

This discussion seems to me to be deeply surreal... The issue of funding
transparency surely isn't about targeting an individual or individuals
because they have specific opinions. Rather because participation in civil
society is to present oneself as having a certain status which in turn is
presented as a signification of a certain legitimacy and thus as having a
specified role in certain activities, discussions, decisions; knowing the
background to those claiming such a status (viz. transparency) would appear
to be a necessary pre-requisite to assigning the requested legitimacy.

Knowing if an organization or (individual) is funded by the US State
Department (or the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs), Google, or the
Third World Network will provide a necessary (but of course not sufficient)
insight into whether one individually or collectively will be willing to
ascribe the requested status/legitimacy.

This is as true in IG as it is in any other area where such
status/legitimacy is being pursued.