[bestbits] [governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Mar 5 18:23:57 EST 2015

On Mar 5, 2015, at 1:46 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> I would like to hereby state clearly that what Jeremy claims is JNC's
> view of "democratic multi-stakeholderism" is not an actual position of
> JNC.
>
> For JNC, "democratic" simply means: democratic.
>
> We insist that just like governance at national levels must be
> democratic (which has been internationally accepted as a human right,
> even if there are countries where this is not currently implemented
> satisfactorily), any and all global governance must also be democratic.

Notwithstanding the obvious circularity of that statement, if this means that you no longer support para 35 of the Tunis Agenda, and that Parminder misspoke when he supported it, then it's good to have finally established that.  Nonetheless, Anriette has effectively confirmed, with her note of the negotiations, my reading of the meaning of the text for which you are pushing in UN circles.  So will you be backing away from that text now, too?

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt

PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en