[bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:50:30 EST 2015

Thanks Shawna/Anriette, and welcome to this discussion...

Just a couple of things...

An individual or organization with convictions is judged by its willingness to say "no", to walk away when those convictions have been trampled upon... In this case the rejection of "democracy" as a qualifier for Internet Governance is I think a clear challenge, to one's convictions concerning the significance of democracy in the context of Internet Governance.  APC could (and in my opinion should) walk away from situations where there is a clear denial of democracy as a fundamental governance principle.

Similarly, the acceptance or rejection of choices is a clear indication of preferences... In this case the acceptance of "multistakeholderism" where "democracy" had been rejected is a clear indication of what appear to be the preferences of those who signed on to, or otherwise accepted the Outcome Statement. Thus where there is a clear choice, MSism is evidently the preferred option for those who signed on to this agreement.

And please be aware that this is not trivial...

The USG has made it quite clear in a variety of contexts that they see MSism as their preferred paradigm for global governance in the wide variety of areas going forward (notably of course not in security/surveillance). Thus accepting the elimination of "democracy" as a necessary element of Internet Governance is a pre-figuration of what we can expect in the range of other areas requiring global decision making in the future. Is this APC's preferred position?

The manner in which MSism operates in practice is a form of governance by elites. A prioritization of MSism by APC  and others means that the necessary explorations of how democratic governance can most effectively operate in the Internet age is deferred if not completely ignored, of course further  empowering the elites and the 1%. Again is this APC's preferred position?

So decisions made by APC now, even if they are done through non-action rather than action will contribute to very significant consequences in the longer term and again I repeat my question -- "has APC (and others who are so blithely jumping on the MS bandwagon) debated and then agreed to favour notions of multistakeholderism over a commitment to democracy as part of their own normative structures...?