[bestbits] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Shahzad Ahmad shahzad at bytesforall.pk
Thu Mar 5 06:03:41 EST 2015

...and adding to what Anriette said below, we are shocked to see such a
response from veterans and leaders of CSOs on IG. This unfortunately,
completely negates the spirit of working together.

We have to continue to work together and strive for more building upon
and capitalizing on the small successes here an there.

Thanks and best wishes
Shahzad

http://igfwatch.org/discussion-board/unesco-resists-jncs-attempt-to-turn-democracy-against-ordinary-internet-users

>> I would like to hereby state clearly that what Jeremy claims is JNC's
>> view of "democratic multi-stakeholderism" is not an actual position of
>> JNC.
>>
>> For JNC, "democratic" simply means: democratic.
>>
>> We insist that just like governance at national levels must be
>> democratic (which has been internationally accepted as a human right,
>> even if there are countries where this is not currently implemented
>> satisfactorily), any and all global governance must also be democratic.
>>
>> JNC's foundational document, the Delhi Declaration, states this as
>> follows:
>>
>>    Globally, there is a severe democratic deficit with regard to
>>    Internet governance. It is urgently required to establish
>>    appropriate platforms and mechanisms for global governance of the
>>    Internet that are democratic and participative.
>>
>> We are opposed to any kind of system in which multistakeholderism is
>> implemented in a way that is not democratic.
>>
>> We are *not* opposed to participative mechanisms for global governance
>> of the Internet. In fact we explicitly demand, in our foundational
>> document, mechanisms for global governance of the Internet which are
>> democratic *and* participative.
>>
>> This demand has nothing whatsoever to do with what Jeremy claims is our
>> goal, which he describes as “limited type of government-led
>> rulemaking”. That would clearly *not* be participative.
>>
>> We insist that Internet governance must be democratic *and*
>> participative.
>>
>> Is that so hard to understand???
>>

>> The above-mentioned post of Jeremy also links, twice, to an earlier
>> blog post of his, and he claims that he has there "revealed ... the
>> agenda of the Just Net Coalition". That post happens to be quite full of
>> factually false assertions. I have now published my response (which had
>> previously been communicated in a non-public manner) at
>>
>> http://justnetcoalition.org/reply-jeremy-malcolm
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Norbert
>> co-convenor, Just Net Coalition
>> http://JustNetCoalition.org

>>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

- --
Shahzad Ahmad
Country Director, Bytes for All, Pakistan
IM: shahzad at jit.si | Google Talk: bytesforall
Twitter: @bytesforall | @sirkup
Office Direct Landline: +92 51 8437981

PGP Fingerprint: 1004 8FDD 7E64 A127 B880 7A67 2D37 5ABF 4871 D92F