[bestbits] Net Neutrality - summary of FCC new rules

Becky Lentz roberta.lentz at mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 4 11:33:45 EST 2015

These are defined in legislation, in the case of the US context, anyway.
Definitional sections at the beginning of legislation are key to
understanding these types of distinctions. The same goes for rules/orders
issued by regulatory agencies like the FCC.

Here¹s a link to the Communications Act of 1934, as amended by the
Telecommunications Act of 1996, where you can find these definitions:
http://transition.fcc.gov/Reports/1934new.pdf. Use the search feature in
the PDF to find information service, telecommunication service, and other
definitions.

The FCC interprets this legislation in its rulemaking processes, so you
will find occasions where the regulatory agency redefines specific
categories of service as either information and telecommunication
services, as it did when it determined that broadband over power lines,
for example (BPL) was an information service:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2006/11/8154/. Another example of the
FCC¹s reclassification capacity, i.e., Classification of Wireless
Broadband Internet Access Service as Information Service:
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-30A1.pdf.

The latter is the slippery slope of definitional work, where definitions
created by the FCC move services OUT of common carriage status (telecom
services), etc. These regulatory decisions can be challenged by parties in
court and Congress can also create/pass legislation that creates new
definitions for the FCC to use in its classificatory work, as the
regulatory agency must interpret its enabling legislation in the course of
its work without being arbitrary or capricious in doing so.

For academic treatment of this type of definitional politics, you might
find this helpful:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cccr.12033/abstract

Becky Lentz
McGill University