[bestbits] Fwd: [Wipo-crossroads] U.S. Statement at the Human Rights Council on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 08:28:11 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Thiru Balasubramaniam* <thiru at keionline.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2015
Subject: [Wipo-crossroads] U.S. Statement at the Human Rights Council on
the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
To: wipo-crossroads at lists.keionline.org

https://geneva.usmission.gov/2015/03/11/u-s-statement-at-the-human-rights-council-on-the-rights-of-persons-with-disabilities/

U.S. Statement at the Human Rights Council on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities

*Annual Interactive Dialogue on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities*

*“Article 19 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
on living independently and being included in the community” *
*28**th** Session of the UN Human Rights Council*
*Sofija Korac*

*March 10, 2015*

*Geneva*

Thank you, Mr. President.

The United States warmly welcomes today’s discussion on the rights of
persons with disabilities to live independently.  This discussion is
particularly timely for us as we celebrate the 25th anniversary of the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) in July.  This landmark legislation
ensures that persons with disabilities have the same rights under our laws
that others enjoy.  We point to the ADA when we assist other countries in
improving their domestic legislation and implementing their obligations
under the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).

The United States has a strong commitment to enabling persons with
disabilities to live independently and be included in the community.  This
commitment arose from the groundbreaking advocacy of persons with
disabilities and their organizations.  We know that successfully supporting
people with disabilities to remain in, and return to, the community
includes the need for accessible housing options and accessible
transportation.  It includes having access to quality services and supports
as needed.  It means access to education and competitive, integrated
employment opportunities on an equal basis with others.  It also requires
changing attitudes, and overcoming stigma and fear of the unknown.

In the landmark 1999 *Olmstead v. L.C* decision, the U.S. Supreme Court
affirmed that the ADA prohibits unnecessary segregation and protects the
right of persons with disabilities to receive services in the most
integrated setting appropriate for them.  The *Olmstead* ruling was a
critical step for our nation because it acknowledged that the choice to
live independently is fundamental for Americans with disabilities.  As
such, President Obama launched the Year of Community Living on the tenth
anniversary of the *Olmstead* decision.  By establishing Community Living
as a priority throughout the United States government, the President
signaled the importance of living independently and being included in the
community.  Federal and state agencies are working together to achieve the
goals of*Olmstead*.

Our Departments of Health and Human Services and Housing and Urban
Development collaborate to provide funding and technical assistance to
states so that they can develop and expand the full array of community
services.  These services range from housing and health care to
transportation and employment.  The Department of Health and Human Services
has its own organization focused on Community Living.  This part of that
agency works to maximize the independence, well-being, and health of people
with disabilities across the lifespan.  It also works to support the
families and caregivers of persons with disabilities.  Our Department of
Justice’s enforcement efforts have helped states comply with *Olmstead*’s
community integration mandate.  These enforcement efforts also have helped
ensure that states serve people with disabilities in the way most conducive
to independence and full participation in community life.

We are proud of the progress we have made, and we look forward to
celebrating our 25th year of the ADA.

Thank you.

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*