[bestbits] [governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Mar 10 22:53:38 EDT 2015

On 10 Mar 2015, at 3:44 pm, JOSEFSSON Erik <erik.josefsson at europarl.europa.eu> wrote:

> David,
>
> I was at a conference recently on "Cultures of Accountability: A Cross-Cultural Perspective on Current and Future Accountability Mechanisms". If anyone wants to dig into the cultural discourse I am sure Brendan Van Alsenoy and Fanny Coudert would be happy to help.

	That sounds fascinating.

> What I brought with me from that conference was that "democratic accountability" was referred to as a kind of implicit last resort when many of the speakers gave witness of how terribly bad accountability mechanisms worked in their disciplines of study respectively.

	Absolutely. Though they are not the only method of last resort (in many Western cultures the highest courts are implicitly a method of last resort when democratic mechanisms such as parliaments fail).

> I think that the issues here are far more complex than navigating among definitions of "democracy", "transparency" or "openness". I think Milton is right in the sense that most thinking in this field is a confused mosh of perceptions.

	Absolutely. The point is that simply elevating a single principle to primacy, especially without a detailed examination of what that principle would mean in practice, is an oversimplification of what we need.
	I still think that ‘open and transparent’ are useful principles to add, and might serve to identify desired goals, better than multi-stakeher in the current context.

	I’d like to also make the point that the discussions of accountability in the ICANN context have already gone to quite a significant level of examination of accountability measures and their application and justification, though they are far too complex for me to adequately explain, or indeed fully follow personally. The relatively simple and high level discussions at the level of principle on this list should not be taken to be representative of the practical discussion in progress elsewhere.

	David