[bestbits] [governance] Remarks at UNESCO Closing Ceremony of "Connecting the Dots Conference"

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:31:27 EST 2015

Anyone who thinks this is simply about word games has not been present in Internet Governance discussions over the last ten years where there has been a very concerted intention to ensure that deliberately ill-defined but elite based multistakeholder decision processes become the required mode in the Internet policy area.

What is interesting in this instance is that for once the process and its overall objective has been made clear i.e. to suppress democracy in favour of MSism. An additional matter of interest that has become visible is the range of unholy alliances that have been struck between those self-serving governmental and corporate forces promoting MSism and various elements of so-called "civil society".

As an aside, if anyone is still wondering how MS decision processes might actually operate in practice one need only reflect on the processes of decision making that went into this purportedly multistakeholder Output Document -- the highly questionable and completely non-transparent selection of the editorial committee (from a small circle of the Internet Governance elite), where potentially critical but equally qualified participants were excluded, where dissenting voices and positions were suppressed, with a complete lack of accountability to presumed constituencies or "stakeholder" groups,  and where the outcome was presented completely falsely as a "consensus" document and output of the associated meeting.

Shame on UNESCO and all those involved for hosting and countenancing such a farce.

And be very very afraid when these kinds of multistakeholder processes become the required norm in a much broader range of global Internet (and other) decision processes as is the clear intention of those controlling and directing these efforts.