[bestbits] [governance] Civil society transparency

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Mon Jun 8 10:57:31 EDT 2015

Dear Parminder,
I am at this point unclear what the precised difference between your
position and Ian's is, for I don't find myself disagreeing much with
either of you (or Anriette or Roberto).

On "conflict of interest":
This is not an idea from the corporate world.  It existed far before
that, too.  A judge, for instance, has a conflict of interest if she is
deciding a case that related to someone close to her.  A political
figure may have a conflict of interest while making a decision that
involves a relative.  "Conflict of interest" is an idea that belongs to
the public sphere and the political sphere as well.  At any rate, this
is splitting hairs.

On the transparency register:
I support the idea, but I have the following operational questions:
1. Will there be a body that vets the information provided?  If so, how
will this be funded?
2. Will this be somewhat like the ICANN's CoI form, but with additional
questions since this is not just about CoI?
3. Do you envisage there being any consequences of someone having been
funded by a government or a corporation or a religious charity or a
corporate-funded foundation, etc., on whether someone can be a CS
representative?  If yes, what kinds of consequences do you envisage?

In essence, I understand the transparency motivations, but I'm very
unclear what accountability mechanisms are envisaged to accompany it, if
any.

(Also, while reading Jeremy's point about witch-hunts, keep what's
happening with Ford Foundation in India in the back of your head.)

Regards,
Pranesh

parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> [2015-06-007 11:19:58 +0530]: