[bestbits] Fwd: GCIG Paper No. 16 now online -- Global Cyberspace Is Safer than You Think: Real Trends in Cybercrime

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 09:57:36 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Samantha Bradshaw <sbradshaw at cigionline.org>
Date: Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM
Subject: GCIG Paper No. 16 now online -- Global Cyberspace Is Safer than
You Think: Real Trends in Cybercrime
To: RAN Members <ran at ourinternet.org>

 Dear RAN Members,

Today the GCIG secretariat issued working paper No. 16 by Eric Jardine. *Global
Cyberspace Is Safer than You Think: Real Trends in Cybercrime* can be
downloaded and read by visiting:
https://ourinternet.org/publication/global-cyberspace-is-safer-than-you-think-real-trends-in-cybercrime/
.

IT security firms publish yearly reports that generally show the security
of cyberspace to be poor and often getting worse, but, as argued in this
paper by Jardine, the level of security in cyberspace is actually far
better than the picture we’re given. Currently, numbers on the occurrence
of cybercrime are almost always depicted in either absolute numbers or
year-over-year terms. To get a more accurate picture of the security of
cyberspace, cybercrime statistics — including mobile vulnerabilities,
malicious web domains, zero-day exploits and web-based attacks, among
others — need to be expressed as a proportion of the growing size of the
Internet. Jardine also offers policy recommendations for the improvement of
IT security.

It would be greatly appreciated if you shared the link to this new research
paper with your colleagues via your social networks. For those of you on
Twitter, we have simplified the sharing process by drafting the following
Tweet:

*[New Report] Global cyberspace safer than You think: real trends in
cybercrime by @ehljardine: http://ow.ly/PABYA <http://ow.ly/PABYA> cc:
@OurInternetGCIG*

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Samantha

*[image: Description: ~sig_logo]*

* Samantha Bradshaw, MA Research Associate, Global Security & Politics*

*Global Commission on Internet Governance Secretariat *Centre for
International Governance Innovation
Centre pour l’innovation dans la gouvernance internationale
67 Erb Street West, Waterloo, Ontario Canada N2L 6C2
tel   +1.519.885.2444 ext. 7203   |   fax   +1.519.885.5450
*www.cigionline.org <http://www.cigionline.org>*

--

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*