[bestbits] [governance] AW: From Confusion to Clarification

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Sun Jan 25 20:31:25 EST 2015

Dear Wolfgang,

However I disagree with the ultimate target ...

At 13:15 25/01/2015, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>This pluralism and diversity reflects the
>reality of the Internet Governance ecosystem. If
>one want to achieve sustainable progress a rough
>consensus has to include the main arguments from
>the main groups of all stakeholders.

because we are not confronted to a semi
democratic multistakhoderic but to a necessarily
polycratic omnistakeholderic global network issue,

>To achieve concrete results openess and
>transparency with regard to the various
>positions is a key pre-condition to promote mutual understanding.

I certainly agree with this.

>Insofar it would be good if civil society
>Internet Governance groups or individuals could
>describe openly what they are standing for. To
>have on paper the various perspectives different
>civil society groups have if it comes to
>Internet policy related issues would be useful
>and could enhance civil society input into the
>forthcoming negotiations, in particular with regard to WSIS 10+.

Yes.

>Since I did send this proposals to this list I
>got numerous comments and critical remarks. Some
>respondents supported the project and called it
>a good idea. Others argued that this is a bad,
>unrealistic and counterproductive idea. Many
>partners made concrete proposals how such a
>project could be further enhanced. Taking into
>account all the feed back I got since last month
>I would specify my proposal in the following way:

The processus is correct if no topic and no
response is blocked. In any case a common and
clear thematic reference grid will have been worked out.

>II. The book should have four chapters:
>1.      Human Rights and Internet(Access,
>Freedom of Expression, Privacy, Content, Culture etc.)
>2.      Security in Cyberspace (Cyberwar,
>Cyberterrorism, Cybercrime, Surveillance, National Sovereignty etc.)
>3.      Social, Economic and Cultural
>Development (Digital Divide, Market Domination,
>Competition, Infrastructure Development,
>Cultural and Linguistic Diversity etc.)
>4.      Technical Coordination (Names, Numbers,
>Protocols, Accountability etc.)

 From this I infer that the matter is open, yet
also Internet centered. This only addresses half
of the pending issues. The other half, which are
at the origin of the current transition is the
insertion of the internet issues within a quickly expending digitality.

>III. Timetable
>It would be good to have a first draft ready
>until early May (for the Meeting of the UNCSTD).
>The final e-Version of the whole book should be
>ready until early September for use by the WSIS
>10+ negotiations groups. A formal presentation
>should be organized during the 10th IGF in
>Brazil. Efforts should be undertake to produce
>also a paper version for distribution at the 10th IGF in November 2014.

This is an acceptable framework. I note FYI that:

1. I may delay the IETF contributive RFC by my appeal that will reach ISOC.
2. The reason of this appeal is the dillution of
the ICANN accountability to IAB through
technology conformance and IANA. This leads to an
accountability by coopetition (along the RFC 6852
paradigm), at least with the Free/Libre community.

However, the result should only a formal
clarification/affirmation of the IAB/IETF position.

It should therefore
1. not affect the framework and help the proposed process.
2. lead to a debate on two missing chapters of the book:
     - (sub)structural description of the cyberspace
     - cyberspace accountability framwork

Best
Jefsey