[bestbits] Draft joint statement on European Parliament IGF resolution

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 13 23:02:50 EST 2015

It is rather unfortunate, and perhaps ominous, that "democratically
accountable mutlistakeholder model of IG' is dismissed in favour of just
'mutlistakeholder model of IG'.

Does it mean that it is considered unnecessary for 'multistakeholder
model(s) of IG' to be democratically accountable?

This is a very important question that must be addressed.

It is in this background that the Just Net Coalition has been making a
distinction between an explicitly democratic multistakeholder (MS)
models and those MS models that do not just avoid mentioning the term
'democratic' but often actively avoid it - as this particular amendment
exercise seems to suggest. (A distinction that some people here have
considered superfluous, and perhaps self serving!)

When I said 'ominous' above, I meant how the post democratic sentiment
that took root at the 'global' 'IG' space has begun to spread downwards
to spaces where the democratic tradition is otherwise rather well
entrenched (and will also spread to non IG areas as well, such are the
powerful forces backing the post democratic ideologies). One is so
disappointed that this kind of thing should happen at a forum like the
EU. But perhaps a good indicator and a warning, if we can use it as one,
that we may be playing with fire in the unthinking promoting of some
very problematic governance models in the global IG space, unmindful of
their impact on democratic traditions.

parminder