[bestbits] CALL - Fellowship at ITS in Rio de Janeiro
carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 13:15:32 EST 2015
ITS Global Policy Fellowship Program 2015
The Institute of Technology and Society (ITSrio.org) invites researchers,
graduate students as well as professionals working with technology policy,
to apply to its Global Policy Fellowship Program and spend four weeks* in
Brazil at ITS. Last year, we welcomed six fellows from all over the world,
who contributed immensely for the success of the Fellowship Program. (See
the list of our 2014 fellows here
<http://www.itsrio.org/sobre-o-its/fellows/>, and what they have to say
about their experiences here
Our Global Fellows will have the opportunity to work with the team who
created and developed the landmark “Marco Civil” legislation, a bill
protecting fundamental rights, including privacy, net neutrality and
freedom of expression, approved as law in Brazil in April 2014. ITS will
offer the opportunity to work with research in the five broad areas, namely:
- Law, democracy and technology (dealing with topics such civic
engagement, online participation, and others);
- Access to technology, justice and human rights (dealing with topics
such as connectivity, accesibility, digital divide and others)
- Internet regulation and Internet governance;
- Privacy and data protection (dealing with topics such as big data,
anti-survailance, data protection and mass surveilance);
- Rethinking culture, media and education (working with topics such as
intelectual property, digital entrepreneurship, art & technology, online
teaching, and others).
The ITS Fellowship Program will offer the opportunity for those interested
in internet and technology policy to deepen their knowledge about the
Brazilian technology context. We have prepared an intensive 4-week* program
for our fellows, which include visits to the biggest technology national
and international companies operating in Brazil, the Brazilian Internet
Steering Committee (CGI.br) and visits to São Paulo and Brasília, including
meetings with representatives of the Ministry of Justice, Ministry of
Culture, and Congress members who are advocating for policies related to
internet and technology.
During their stay, selected fellows will be expected to:
- Present at least one public seminar, organized in partnership with
ITS. Suggested topics can include: broadband and access policy, content
regulation, copyright and creativity, consumer privacy, open government,
government surveillance, data security, data innovation, freedom of
expression, democracy and technology and human rights.
- To publish at least one article or webpost about their experience as a
fellow in Brazil.
- To collaborate with the ITS team and its projects.
*Who should apply?*
We are looking for students, researchers, and professionals who are
following the debates in the public policy field, and who want to spend
part of their summer/winter in Brazil, learning about Internet policy.
People from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For the selection
processes, please send us:
- Your complete academic and professional resume, including your
LinkedIn profile and other online references you want us to consider;
- A 1-page personal statement about your motivations to work in Brazil;
- A brief work description of your experience with technology policy;
- Proposal for a public presentation of your work;
- Indication of one of the five main areas ITS which you would like to
- One project or idea you would be interested in developing while at ITS.
Portuguese skills are not required (but English is mandatory).
All documents must be sent in one single e-mail message to itsrio at itsrio.org,
with the subject “Global Fellows Application :: YOUR NAME”.
*Our Fellowship Package includes:*
- Intensive 4-week* program for the fellows;
- Air tickets to São Paulo and Brasília;
- Accommodation in São Paulo and Brasília during the days of our visit;
- Shared office space at our headquarters for four weeks*;
- A visit to a “samba” music club will also be organized, but is not
*Our Fellowship Package does not include:*
- International Traveling to and from Brazil;
- Accommodation for the four weeks* in Rio de Janeiro, where our program
- Other costs related to your stay in Brazil other than those mentioned
- Necessary visa to entry the country.
Our team will provide tips and information about how to find accommodation
in the city during that time.
Applications deadline: March 20th, 2015;
Announcement of fellows by e-mail: March 31st, 2015;
Fellowship Program will start: June 29th, and will finish in July 27th, 2015
** Fellows are expected to stay in Rio from 29/June/2015 to 27/Jul/2015.
After this date, fellows can coordinate with ITS the possibility of staying
for a longer term if they wish. Visa and costs for additional stays are to
be provided by the fellows.*
*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*
+ 1 6176979389 | skype: carolrossini | @carolinarossini
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Bestbits