[bestbits] [governance] To the design principles of the real Internet

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Dec 21 08:05:23 EST 2015

At 16:08 18/12/2015, willi uebelherr wrote:
To the design principles of the real Internet

Dear Willi,

There is not such a thing as the "real Internet", there are several
ways of internetting things. All you can say is:

* there is a world digital ecosystem of bandwidth and processing nodes
shared for free or for a fee by their owners

* of which the purpose is to carry datagrams from end to end, what
requires a minimum protocol set. .

They are groups under exclusive (physical) or shared (virtual)  NIC's
supervision forming this way local or glocal network systems.

Their concatenation is named a catenet ("a network of networks").
The ends are plugged to digital equipments through fringe edges.
That's RFC 1859 and that's it.

The most popular catenet end to end protocol sets are the "internet"
IPv4 and IPv6 protocol sets. They come with their addressing plan and
their IANA referential repository,

That's it.

By essence the catenet is unreliable.
You can add protocols to make it reliable (ex. TCP).

By essence the catenet is unsecure.
You can add a security, format, cryptographic, language presentation
loriented ayers. IETF does not do that.

By essence the catenet is dumb stupid.
You can add an intellition layer.

RFC 1958 states that additional fringe to fringe layers are to be
plugged "at the fringe".

This means that it can be on the Network Side by DSPs (digital
services providers) or through PLUS (plugged layers on the user side).

  So what you are discussing is the catenet internet PLUS.

jfc