[bestbits] FW: [governance] GCCS Speech

David Sullivan dsullivan at globalnetworkinitiative.org
Sat Apr 18 11:50:21 EDT 2015

I did not attend the GCCS, but my impression from other international
conferences is that a Chairman's Statement, no matter how much consultation
took place with stakeholders before or during the conference, is ultimately
a statement by the Chair (in this case the Govt of the Netherlands) and no
one else. It can attempt to convey consensus views, but no one else is
signing up to the statement or making any commitments around it.

So this statement has very different status than the NetMundial Outcome
document, which was developed through a multi-stakeholder process, or for
example the Tallinn Agenda on freedom online, which was endorsed by the
multilateral govts in the Freedom Online Coalition.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

David Sullivan
Policy and Communications Director
Global Network Initiative <http://www.globalnetworkinitiative.org>