[bestbits] [governance] Fwd: [Rigf_discuss] [Extended Deadline: Apr 7(Tue)] APrIGF Macao 2015 - Last Chance to Submit Your Workshop Proposals

Ang Peng Hwa (Prof) TPHANG at ntu.edu.sg
Wed Apr 1 06:44:56 EDT 2015

Hi Parminder.

I went to the IGF page and searched for your proposal. I’m surprised that the entire group of organisers consists of civil society players only.

The online proposal form has a button that allows one to ask for help if one has difficulty getting stakeholder participation. Your proposal does not have that request. I presume it means that you are not seeking inputs from government or the private sector.

Back in 2010, when we organised the first APrIGF, you and I had a couple of side chats during the meeting in HK and you gave some critical inputs that, in the long run, strengthened the meeting. One of the criticisms was that we had no government representation on the MSG (multistakeholder steering group; acronym cunningly chosen because it resembles flavouring originating in Asia). There was a bit of finger wagging by you even then and I explained to you that we had tried but no government was stepping up. Since then, we have seen increasing government involvement with the APrIGF. Fast forward to 2014 and the Indian government played a major part in the APrIGF in Delhi. I don’t know if you played a part in that but your critique in 2010 was helpful in prodding us to get government on board. In the coming Macao meeting, they are involved in sponsorships as well.

So now, seeing a proposal from you where only civil society is speaker and audience is puzzling. I have battle scars from being ejected at meetings by government officials between the two WSISs. They are so rare these days I wear them as a badge of honour.

So these are my questions that come top of my head.

  1.  If civil society can organise a session where no government or business organisation is invited, would it be acceptable if governments and business organise their own meetings among themselves?
  2.  If even the World Economic Forum is recognising the importance of a multistakeholder model http://www.weforum.org/reports/future-role-civil-society, would not a civil-society-only meeting be a step backward?

Regards,
Peng Hwa