[bestbits] [governance] GCCS Speech

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Thu Apr 16 07:06:10 EDT 2015

Hi Nnenna from the Internet,

1_______________
Could you please elaborate what means the following sentence in your speech? I am not sure to see which democratic processes you are referring to in the current pro US status-quo multiskateholder game? Or did you mean are here to stay out of the MS mess?
Openness and democratic processes entrenched in multi-stakeholder engagement are here to stay.

2________________
And what do you mean when you write the following?
"Therefore we need to grow, be more open and inclusive. And we must uphold, promote, engage with, and maintain processes like the IGF, the NetMundial and the IANA transition."

in particular you call for upholding and promoting processes like the NetMundial? Do you support the high-jacking of the Sao Paulo meeting by the ICANN/WEF and CGI.br? What in your mind deserves to be promoted (and not denounced) regarding the long-expected IANA transition to ICANN? Another great democratic transition I presume. Also please indicate why you do not mention another great initiative that is the Internet Social Forum. Is it because it is so "civil society', having therefore too much baggage to engage with, or because it is not multistakeholder according to your open and democratic MS standards, or because you are concerned that the public policy global debate about the Internet would step out of the usual sandbox where everyone seems to enjoy listening to the same old song (with interesting variations, I can concede that to you when reading all your "I am from the Internet" speeches).

It is always good to start mentioning in such a speech the bad guys (Arab countries, Turkey, Russia, China...) as you might not feel comfortable to mention the one posing the greatest threat to all others (see what I mean, or maybe you need a pointer?). Denouncing an omnibus of democratic countries competing for mass surveillance is simply non sense. If so all governments are definitely evil (apart the US of course). Among them, none except the US can be seen as a serious cyber threat to all citizens around the planet. Why pointing to these bad guys, and not naming Caesar (see the country with so many good generous sponsors( see below).

Why to quote a report by the Alliance for Affordable Internet (AAI), when for years, we have had access to the same data at the ITU? Oh, I forgot, the AAI is multistakeholder-friendly, it regroups the good guys: the US State Department, Cisco, APC, Facebook, CGI.br, Google, Intel, ISOC, Microsoft, the Swedish Foreign Affairs, USAid, others, and of course your World Wide Web Foodation... And ITU is part of the villain, the power-grab people...

It would be good to define of which part of the Internet you come from (if it wasn't clear enough for some of us here)? Can you tell us how intertwined the organization you report to  is benefiting from these generous sponsors?

It seems that there is a large stretch between all of these words and their behinds, and what would be an honest independent CS position defending a true affordable access for citizens of the planet who do not have access yet. Have you noticed the failure of Facebook initiative in India for an Affordable Internet Access? How come?

This is all very embarrassing.

JC