[bestbits] Council of Europe multi-stakeholder consultations on Internet freedom

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Wed Apr 15 05:52:17 EDT 2015

I disagree entirely that the idea that human rights apply equally online and offline is just a slogan. I know from direct, repeated personal experience that the agreement on that point at the Human Rights Council that all rights apply equally online and offline is a landmark. It is continually used to push back against attempts to justify censorship in other international agreements and it works.

If you are just talking about the implementation of this concept at the CoE that’s a different thing.

We need more international understandings like the one at the HRC, because they can be built upon in other places.