[bestbits] Fwd: GCIG Paper No. 10 Now Online: A Primer on Globally Harmonizing Internet Jurisdiction and Regulations by Michael Chertoff & Paul Rosenzweig

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sun Apr 12 16:18:13 EDT 2015

Hi there,

Dnia czwartek, 9 kwietnia 2015 23:12:07 Carolina Rossini pisze:
> Today the GCIG secretariat issued working paper No. 10 by Michael Chertoff
> and Paul Rosenzweig. *A Primer on Globally Harmonizing Internet
> Jurisdiction and Regulations* can be downloaded and read by visiting:
> https://ourinternet.org/#publications/a-primer-on-globally-harmonizing-inter
> net-jurisdiction-and-regulations.

Thanks, looks interesting.

> The brief paper offers some thoughts on how the potential legal fracturing
> of the World Wide Web might be resolved, concluding that multilateral
> agreement on a choice-of-law framework is essential to the continuing
> growth of the network.

Not under-appreciating the importance of law framework harmonisation (which is
indubitably crucial), but I want to point out that we need to start addressing
the problem of walled-gardens, and balkanization of Internet in the
application layer.

Think: Facebook, Twitter, Google+ are vertically-integrated silos, and are not
compatible with one another. Working towards law framework integration has to
take into account that Terms of Service of these services are indeed the by-
laws of the Internet for billions of people. Consider:
http://qz.com/333313/milliions-of-facebook-users-have-no-idea-theyre-using-the-internet/

We must not leave these ToS out of the harmonization effort.

> It would be greatly appreciated if you shared the link to this new research
> paper with your colleagues via your social networks. For those of you on
> Twitter, we have simplified the sharing process by drafting the following
> two Tweets.

Yup, that's more or less what I'm talking about.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Zmieniam klucz GPG :: http://rys.io/pl/147