[bestbits] Final draft of the IGF Mandate recommendation statement

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:31:40 EDT 2014

While in general being mildly supportive of a continuation of the IGF I have
considerable reservations about the current organization/governance of the
IGF including and particularly the procedures for the selection of the
membership of the MAG; the mandate of the MAG and the procedures (and
governance structures) if any, for its "evolution"; the appointment
procedures, and roles and responsibilities of the UN appointees with respect
to the IGF either in a supervisory, advisory or consultants role with the
IGF; among other issues.

Perhaps this has been covered in the discussion to date or there are
documents concerning the IGF/MAG with which I am not familiar but based on
my own observations over several years there would seem to be some actual
and potential issues concerning the current IGF which would need to be
addressed presumably as part of a decision with respect to "IGF
permanency/continuity", in whatever form that might take.

Without apparently even making an allusion to some of these issues it is
hard to see how one could support this "statement".

Mike