[bestbits] [discuss] Re: Draft statement on making IGF permanent

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:03:00 EDT 2014

A minor correction...

George, neither the UN ICT Task Force, nor the GAID " spent millions of
dollars"... neither of them had any money of their own (nor any sort of
significant contributory budget--Sarbuland to the best of my knowledge
continued to receive his salary through his previous appointment elsewhere
in the Secretariat for example)... Lack of independent funding was one among
a huge number of other problems, and not to say that if they had had any
money it would have been well and usefully spent...  but I completely agree
with you on the other part of your statement "by virtue of their existence,
they have pre-empted the center of discussion and have thereby prevented the
possible emergence of more innovative and useful."

I think these comments should be balanced however, by noting that the (quite
limited) contribution of the UNDP, UNESCO and other of the specialized
agencies to ICT4D were for the most quite useful, reasonably well managed
and not particularly wasteful of their or anyone's money.