[bestbits] US State Department launches its own open internet petition site

Jean-Christophe NOTHIAS I The Global Journal jc.nothias at theglobaljournal.net
Tue Sep 2 05:44:35 EDT 2014

Thanks Anne for sharing.

This is fully consistent with Ambassader Donahoe statement during the WEF meeting in Geneva (see video) that her only major concern was to gain legitimacy through public support. She expressed her view very clearly so that legitimacy is not about a democratic approach through governments but directly through the large number of people supporting whatever the US wants. So any initiative convening CS and any other stakeholder will be good enough to prove the legitimate support to US views of an "open Internet".

So this is the clear "technical" solution to her statement and US department approach. The choice of going after a number of supporters bring no legitimacy at all. Let's not even go back to George Sadovksy 's comment about the not-totally-representativity of the UN.

Well, it seems like nothing changes.

JC

** Donahoe's job in Geneva is to articulate the US State department stand on all Human Rights issues. Donahoe (a Clintonette) has been the one organizing visits of Silicon Valley for foreign diplomats based in Geneva. She is also the one funding all initiatives to show how good is the US as supporting bloggers (Freedom Internet fighters...) and constantly showcasing the US as the champion of Freedom of expression. She hardly comments about mass surveillance being such a HR infringement. I would also remind everyone that the head of the US diplomats in Geneva's core mission for the last six years was to secure Intellectual property policy in favor of the US. One of the results of that aggressive IP US policy was to gain a "fast-track" process to be implemented in the US for all inventors who would wish to register a patent in the US in a very short time. That is something not very well known but with a great impact to counter the fact that China became 3 or 4 years ago the global leader in patent registrations. Just wondering i all countries are eligible for the fact-track IP desk.