[bestbits] [governance] Call for making the IGF permanent

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 15:48:31 EDT 2014

I don't share your sense of humor and I do not find your tone constructive.

My point is that the UN as an organization is a creation of governments, and it responds through the political process to what governments want  --  as it did when China caused the UN to expel Taiwan.  Perhaps it's easier to see in the context of the ITU, one of the UN's specialized agencies.

My point is that the UN as an organization has its strong and its weak points.  The discussion seemed to indicate a sense that the UN was a panacea to the problems of Internet governance.  The issue is not whether there's a better organization that covers the world.  The issue is how can we structure the best, more permanent home for the IGF that we want.  The UN may be a part of how that home is provided, but it definitely should not dominate in any manner.

George

<<trimmed>>