[bestbits] Call for making the IGF permanent

Subi Chaturvedi subi.igp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 07:57:23 EDT 2014

Fantastic call Jeanette.
Strongly support.

Warmest

Subi Chaturvedi

On 1 Sep 2014 13:24, "Joana Varon" <joana at varonferraz.com> wrote:

> Agree.
>
> At NETMundial final statement, this is what we have on IGF:
>
> "There is a need for a strengthened Internet Governance Forum (IGF).
Important recommendations to that end were made by the UN CSTD working
group on IGF improvements. It is suggested that these recommendations will
be
> implemented by the end of 2015. Improvements should include inter-alia:
> a.Improved outcomes: Improvements can be implemented including creative
> ways of providing outcomes/recommendations and the analysis of policy
options;
> b.Extending the IGF mandate beyond five-year terms;
> c. Ensuring guaranteed stable and predictable funding for the IGF,
including
> through a broadened donor base, is essential;
> d. The IGF should adopt mechanisms to promote worldwide discussions
> between meetings through intersessional dialogues.
> A strengthened IGF could better serve as a platform for discussing both
long
> standing and emerging issues with a view to contributing to the
identification of
> possible ways to address them."
>
> We could departure from that and add "ask the UN to make the IGF a
permanent body instead of  renewing its mandate for another limited term of
5 or 10 years."

> 1Net could also be a platform to facilitate this.
>
> best
>
> joana
>

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 4:48 AM, João Carlos R. Caribé <joao.caribe at me.com>
wrote:

>> Unfortunately I missed that meeting, so I full support this idea count
me on to support as I can.

>> _
>> João Carlos Caribé
>> (021) 8761 1967
>> (021) 4042 7727
>> Skype joaocaribe
>> Enviado via iPad
>>
>> > Em 01/09/2014, às 11:33, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> escreveu:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > at the BB meeting yesterday we discussed the idea of a BB statement
that would ask the UN to make the IGF a permanent body instead of  renewing
its mandate for another limited term of 5 or 10 years.
>> > This idea found broad support among the attendees of the BB meeting.
>> >
>> > Later on I discussed the content of such a statement with other
stakeholders at the IGF and I got the impression that we might be able to
draft a cross-stakeholder statement together with the technical community
and the private sector. (Individual governments support such a statement
too but I am not sure it would be possible within the few days available to
coordiante enough signatures by governments to make this an all inclusive
statement.)

>> > Right now, a multi-stakeholder statement coming out of this IGF is
only an idea that needs further exploration within the respective groups.
So, with this email to the bb list and the IGC list I am asking for your
opinions to find out if such a cross-stakeholder statement would find
support in civil society.

>> > jeanette
>> >
>> > P.S. Lately, I have been unable to post to the IGC list. If this email
does not appear on the IGC list, would someone be so kind to forward it?