[bestbits] Call for making the IGF permanent

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 06:36:52 EDT 2014

Hi all:

Jeanette, your post has come through onto the IGC list as far as I can see.

To respond to the whole thread so far, I think a simple call for permanency
would be weak. Doesn't the NETmundial declaration already talk about
strengthening IGF? So at the very least, a multistakeholder call would have
to include permanent IGF with strengthened support. And unless this is
threat to maintaining cohesion across stakeholder groups which might be
willing to support such call, I'd go as far as introducing language along
the lines of what Anne Jellema proposes (expanded, stable, predictable
funding that is transparently accounted for.)

If there are stakeholders who are against the latter language, or if there
are broader points (as alluded to earlier) which are beyond the above then
we'll need to have two statements. But the minimum in my view, even for a
multistakeholder call, would have to be for a permanent IGF with
strengthened and sustainable support.

Mawaki