[bestbits] Call for nominations for civil society representatives for the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory group (MAG)

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Sep 30 14:43:06 EDT 2014

Hi,

This note is a follow up to Jeanette's nomination of me for IGF MAG
candidacy.

 * Past record of active engagement as part of civil society groups
    working on internet governance issues, acting or speaking out
    assertively on behalf of public interest concerns.

Since switching from being primarily an ICT for Development researcher
to participation in Internet governance discussions at the WSIS
meeting post Geneva in 2003, I have associated with civil society and
participated as civil society in many venues.  Using the 3 way split
established in WSIS and required by the IGF, I associate with Civil
Society.  I am a member of the IGC and of the NCSG, participate in
Bestbits and work part time for APC. I have requested that APC endorse
my nomination. I believe NCSG is also considering it.

I also associate with both of the Tunis Agenda cross cutting groups:
Academia and the Internet Community.  In terms of this call for the
MAG, I am only being considered by Civil Society and would not agree
to being considered by more that one of the groups.

I believe I have been vocal and assertive in behalf of public interest
concerns as I understand them, whether they were my issues or the
issues held by others in civil society.

  * Willingness and commitment to consult with and report back to CS
    networks (including beyond those focused on internet governance
    where appropriate) on MAG discussions.

I am most willing to do so and believe that when I have had roles in
civil society, have shown that I have done so.  Reporting back to my
community (ies) is a responsibility I take seriously. I have on
occasion been slower at doing it than is optimal, but I keep trying to
improve.

While Civil Society does not come with one opinion, I think it is
important for an appointee from a stakeholder group to do her best to
make sure that the variety of the stakeholder group's views is
expressed on issues as best as possible.  One cannot just argue ones
own view, but must make sure that all views expressed in the
stakeholder group are given sufficient expression in discussions and
in consensus building.

  * Previous attendee at IGF at a global or regional level.

I have attended all of the IGF meetings since it was created.  For the
first 5 years I attended as a member of the IGF Secretariat.  The last
few years I attended as a civil society participant.  As I have
mentioned, I also consider myself to be part of the Internet Technical
Community.  In Bali, I briefly wore a badge that indicated I was
Technical Community, but it did not feel quite right, so I got a
another badge made that said Civil Society.

I have also attended several IGF-USA and EuroDIG.

I am a member of the IGF Support Association (IGFSA) Executive Committee.

  * Willing, available and able to participate effectively and
    constructively in the MAG deliberations.

I am willing, will makes myself available, and believe that I am able
to participate effectively and constructively in the MAG.  I believe
that the MAG has lots of work to do, together with with the community,
to enable the IGF continue to improve.  It is exciting that it is
starting to work on outcomes and continuing work between annual
meetings.  This is a trend I believe must be reinforced.  I also
believe that the MAG needs to make greater use of its UN DESA advisory
capabilities to bring the community the sort of progress and processes
they expect from the IGF.

My standard bio:

Ms. Doria is an itinerant research consultant. She is a member of the
ICANN GNSO council as a representative of the Non-Commercial
Stakeholder Group (NCSG) and was previously chair of the GNSO Council.
 She is a member of the UN Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation
(WGEC) and was a member of the UN Working Group on Internet
Governance (WGIG). As a contractor she spent 5 years as a member the
Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Secretariat, is a part time research
associate for the Association for Progressive Communications (APC),
part time VP for Policy and Governance at dotgay LLC working with the
LGBTQI community and working with PIR to establish a secretariat for
their community advisory council. As a technologist she has been
involved in the development of Internet protocols and architectures
for over 30 years, is a participant in the IETF, and a past chair of
the IRTF Routing Research Group.  She is the author of multiple RFCs
and occasionally teaches on Internet governance subjects. Ms. Doria
was awarded the ICANN Multistakeholder Ethos award in 2014.

- --

Thanks for considering my nomination

avri