[bestbits] Call for nominations for civil society representatives for the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory group (MAG)

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Mon Sep 29 07:54:20 EDT 2014

Hi Jeremy, all

Below please find my personal statement in support of my MAG nomination.

Name: Matthew Shears

Nationality and country of residence: UK

Gender: Male

I have been an active member of Best Bits and advocated for civil
society interests since the Baku meeting of the IGF.   I helped
contribute to civil society preparatory work for the WCIT and to civil
society coordination on the ground in Dubai.  My engagement in ITU
related activities of concern to civil society continued at the WTPF,
where I participated in the work of the Independent Expert Group and the
WTPF itself (and gave the closing civil society statement
<http://www.itu.int/en/wtpf-13/Documents/statements/wtpf-13-cdt-closing-en.pdf>).
I have participated in UNESCO's multi-stakeholder review of the WSIS+10
and in the ITU's WSIS+10 MPP process alongside a small number of civil
society representatives, working hard to retain references to human
rights, people centered and inclusive governance, multi-stakeholderism,
access and other issues of central importance to civil society (I also
spoke to these issues in my statement
<http://www.itu.int/wsis/implementation/2014/forum/inc/ps/doc/PolicyStatementsSessionOne-C/Mr.Matthew_Shears.pdf>
at the WSIS+10 HLE).  I participated in the Best Bits preparatory work
for NETmundial, leading on the Best Bits human rights principles
submission
<http://content.netmundial.br/contribution/internet-governance-principles-and-human-rights/107>,
and participated actively in the event itself helping to shape civil
society's engagement.   I am also involved in the work of the Freedom
Online Coalition.

I have been a MAG member before, from 2006 - 2008 (when I was with the
Internet Society), and wish to return to the MAG as I firmly believe
that the IGF must evolve, be strengthened and ensure that its mandate is
renewed in 2015.  I believe that civil society's voice needs to be
strengthened in the MAG, and the aspirations of all stakeholders in the
MAG emboldened.   I will work to ensure that civil society in the MAG is
coordinated and vocal in support of its goals for the IGF.

I have actively participated in five of the nine IGFs, most recently the
IGFs in Baku, Bali and
Istanbul<https://cdt.org/blog/reflections-on-the-internet-governance-forum-in-istanbul/>.
I have also participated in the regional Africa IGFs in Cairo and
Nairobi, and IGF USA this past summer.   I have attended most of the
recent preparatory sessions for the IGF and am familiar with the
operating mechanisms of the MAG.  As someone who has worked in this
space from the WSIS Tunis phase (2005), I am very familiar with and have
worked with many stakeholder representatives in the IGF and elsewhere.
I would also bring this experience to build common purpose across
stakeholders to help achieve civil society's goals and to take the IGF
forward.

Additional detail:

Matthew Shears leads the Center for Democracy and Technology’s Global
Internet Policy and Human Rights (GIPHR) activities. A UK national,
Matthew has extensive experience in Internet and telecommunications
policy and governance in the non-profit, public and private sectors.

Matthew has worked for the public relations firm Hill and Knowlton in
New York, the United States Mission to the European Union in Brussels,
AT&T Europe as their Regional Director for International Public Affairs,
broadband satellite start-up Teledesic as European Affairs Director and
Cisco Systems as the Government Affairs Director for Europe, Middle East
and Africa.

 From 2005 through 2009, Matthew was the Internet Society’s Public
Policy Director, responsible for building the global policy team and
representing the organization during the Tunis phase of the WSIS, at ITU
Telecom World and at the Internet Governance Forum. From 2006-2008 he
was a member of the UN Secretary General’s Advisory Group on Internet
governance.

Matthew received his MSc in European Studies from the London School of
Economics and his BA in International Affairs from George Washington
University.

Many thanks!

Matthew

On 9/27/2014 10:03 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> So far I believe we have these candidates to put forward into the process:
>
> * Avri Doria
> * Lea Kaspar
> * John Dada
> * Matthew Shears
> * Ephraim Percy Kenyanito
>
> Before we close on September 30 this is a last call for any final
> nominations.  Can I also please ask those who haven't already done so
> to send (me, or the list) a statement addressing the criteria?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Sep 18, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org
> <mailto:jmalcolm at eff.org>> wrote:
>
>> This is a call for nominations for civil society representatives for
>> the IGF Multistakeholder Advisory group (MAG).
>>
>> This nomination process in 2014 will be run across several civil
>> society coalitions, including Best Bits, IGC, APC, Diplo, NCSG, and
>> Just Net Coalition. You are welcome to nominate through any of the
>> above groups. Nominations close on Tuesday, September 30
>>
>> If you wish to nominate via Best Bits, or you have been nominated and
>> wish to accept, please do so either on list or by email to
>> jmalcolm at eff.org.
>>
>> Please include in your nomination, the nominee's name, country of
>> residence and nationality, and gender. Please also specifically
>> address each of the selection criteria below, giving us examples and
>> evidence of how the nominee meets each of the individual selection
>> criteria.
>>
>> CRITERIA
>>
>>   * Past record of active engagement as part of civil society groups
>>     working on internet governance issues, acting or speaking out
>>     assertively on behalf of public interest concerns.
>>   * Willingness and commitment to consult with and report back to CS
>>     networks (including beyond those focused on internet governance
>>     where appropriate) on MAG discussions.
>>   * Previous attendee at IGF at a global or regional level.
>>   * Willing, available and able to participate effectively and
>>     constructively in the MAG deliberations.
>>
>> Existing MAG members seeking CSCG endorsement should also follow this
>> process.
>>

>> Nominations must close on Tuesday, September 30. The list of
>> candidates endorsed by CSCG will be published no later than October 16.
>>
>> --
>> Jeremy Malcolm
>> Senior Global Policy Analyst
>> Electronic Frontier Foundation
>> https://eff.org
>> jmalcolm at eff.org
>>
>> Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
>>
>> :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::
>
> --
> Jeremy Malcolm
> Senior Global Policy Analyst
> Electronic Frontier Foundation
> https://eff.org
> jmalcolm at eff.org
>
> Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161
>
> :: Defending Your Rights in the Digital World ::

Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987