[bestbits] IGF Open Consultations and MAG meetings in Geneva 1-3 December 2014

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:50:30 EDT 2014

Hi Subi

On Sep 17, 2014, at 6:54 PM, Subi Chaturvedi <subi.igp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Bill,
>
> First things first. Please do NOT misqoute and misrepresent me. I did not disagree at all. I have clearly mentioned the need for both.

I did neither.  You said,

On Sep 17, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Subi Chaturvedi <subichaturvedi at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I see merit in Bill's suggestion I would also like to see all stakeholders meet and speak with each other as MAG.
>
> Because of a full schedule and a well rounded agenda we do not have an opportunity to do that. Some team building excercises are in order. Ana and I discussed this in detail at the IGF Istanbul.
>
> While different stakeholder groups are free to meet each other informally as they have done in the past,  a joint session which includes all MAG members new and old has its own merits as all of us need to work together.
>
> We can still do both as we have done in the past.

So whereas I proposed something new, setting aside a formal time in the agenda for new and old MAG members to meet in the stakeholder groups they nominally come from, you gave them permission to meet informally, as in the past.  This is the opposite of what I was suggested.

I can understand why you might not want a meeting of civil society people involved in the MAG, just like I could understand your efforts to privately control the main session on the IGF in Istanbul.  But please do not pretend we are saying the same thing when we are not.

Cheers

Bill