[bestbits] Call for making the IGF permanent

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Mon Sep 1 05:00:42 EDT 2014

On Sep 1, 2014, at 11:38 AM, joy <joy at apc.org> wrote:

> Hi - I agree with the idea of a joint statement making the IGF permanent
> However, I would point out that yesterday at the Best Bits meeting we agreed to make a statement saying more than just that the IGF should be made permanent - we also were to preparea a statement on other issues and a smaller group had started notes on these during the meeting on the meeting etherpad https://etherpad.mozilla.org/NnbQgXIv8Y at lines 330-339
> These still need more work -  a small group volunteered to work on developing these into a statement that would be sent to this list for comment and a call for support (myself, Dixie, Jeremy, Carolina - maybe one or two others?)

Support seemed almost unanimous for sending a statement on the permanent mandate of the IGF, but I'm not sure whether people realised they would be supporting a broader statement covering other points (such as "concern at the number of new processes", which seems contentious to me, although I personally agree with it).  Can we have two separate outputs?  ie. I think there would be value in issuing a consensus statement on the renewal of the IGF, and putting the other paragraphs into an optional sign-on statement if they are more contentious and might detract from the unanimity of the message about extension of the IGF.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org