[bestbits] BestBits statement

Niels ten Oever lists at digitaldissidents.org
Thu Sep 4 04:41:04 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I think it is crucial that we agree on the IGF BestBIts statement so
that we can publish it today for sign on and present it tomorrow at
the last day of the IGF.

Pad is here: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/NnbQgXIv8Y Statement is from
line 330 - 345.

Text is underneath.

Best,

- -Niels

We, the undersigned below and all members of the Best Bits Network,
reaffirm that human rights and sustainable development are underlying
concerns for all internet governance processes and mechanisms. At
this 2014 IGF in Istanbul we wish to in particular to:

1. Call for the establishment of the IGF as a multistakeholder forum
within the framework of the United Nations with an open-ended mandate,
that should be reformed and strengthened.

2. Call for more thorough and timely review of the IGF post-Istanbul
(rather than waiting until early 2015) in order to look at potential
changes that could lead to its further strengthening.

3 . Support the Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of the
Internet - known as the NETMundial and its recommendations for the IGF.

4. Commend the IGF for responding to the NETmundial roadmap set in its
outcome document by, for example, focusing on net neutrality, and ask
the MAG, UNDESA and Brazil - the host of the 2015 IGF - to build on
this roadmap, and to build upon the regional and national IGFs as core
opportunities that feed into this process.

5. We call for the opening up of the WSIS+10 review modalities to
ensure that stakeholders interests and views are heard and taken into
account, by way of a more structured consultation process and allowing
civil society to appoint its own representatives and speakers.

6. We express serious concern about the shrinking space for freedom of
expression and access to information in Turkey, especially in relation
to internet filtering and blocking of content. Therefore Best Bits
welcomes the initiative of the Internet Ungovernance Forum and Turkish
civil society organizations to address this threat to human rights.

- --
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint = 8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4 678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9