[bestbits] Call for making the IGF permanent

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Thu Sep 4 02:44:30 EDT 2014

Am 03.09.14 14:21, schrieb Pranesh Prakash:
> Jeremy Malcolm <jmalcolm at eff.org> [2014-09-01 12:00:42 +0300]:
>> Support seemed almost unanimous for sending a statement on the
>> permanent mandate of the IGF
>
> I will have to be the one to provide that "almost" to that unanimity.
> Speaking for myself, I do not support making the IGF a permanent body.
>
> The IGF has to be relevant and has to deliver results, and we should
> push for accountability of the IGF.  Making it permanent isn't really
> going to help accountability of the IGF (just as having the IANA
> contract be renewable has helped keep ICANN more accountable so far,
> though the analogy is not perfect).

I think the analogy is somewhat misleading because it does not take into
account the internal logics and dynamics of UN evaluation processes. The
intergovernmental WSIS +10, a real u-turn in terms of  multistakeholder
approaches but an important context for the evaluation of the IGF,
offers a good example of those logics.

What I mean to say is that the 5 years mandate of the IGF does not
provide for the kind of evaluation of the IGF that most people find
necessary. It would be good to see the IGF reviewed on its own terms.
Do you really trust the UN to do this?
Given the terms of the WSIS+10, how likely is it to convince the UN to
make the IGF evaluation process "more participative
 > and transparent and, yes, more "multistakeholder"?

I also agree with Stephanie that it would be good to think about review
or evaluation mechanisms that are able to hold the IGF secretariat and
the MAG to account.

All the questions you raise below are good ones but I think what you
seem to imply is wrong. A thorough and comprehensive analysis would find
more evidence for the IGF's impact than you see.

jeanette

   I would support making the