[bestbits] [governance] Call for making the IGF permanent

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 14:01:19 EDT 2014

I fully agree with Pranesh and Seun here.
While supporting the current call for open-ended mandate (time-wise) for
the IGF, I certainly didn't mean to imply that everything else shall remain
the same, and maybe we should make that clear in the statement? Could
someone come up with a sentence or two to include in the cross-stakeholder
statement in the next hour or two?

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Anja Kovacs <anja at internetdemocracy.in>
wrote:

> Thanks, Lee. That was in fact also what was suggested at the Best Bits
> meeting.
>
> The unanimous support was not merely for establishing the IGF as a
> permanent or long-term body, but for establishing it as a permanent or
> long-term body while reforming and strengthening it, and that is the
> language that the Best Bits draft statement also uses at the moment (the
> cross-stakeholder statement unfortunately does not). Transparency and
> accountability for me are an integral part of what needs to be
> strengthened, and I'm happy for that to be spelled out. I have made a
> suggestion to that effect on the pad where the BB statement is being
> drafted.

Anja, why wouldn't you make the same suggestion to the drafters of the
cross-stakeholder statement?
In any event, I think we should agree that we need to start a process
addressing questions such as those raised by Pranesh and Seun for a
reformed IGF in its second decade (the IGF 2.0, if you will) shortly after
the Istanbul meeting in order to have other recommendations follow the
extension one, to that effect.
Thanks and best,

Mawaki