[bestbits] Time-sensitive: 24 hour sign on period for ITU Plenipot joint recommendations

Carolina Rossini carolina.rossini at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:59:46 EDT 2014

Just to clarify - you can endorse the statement at the BestBits platform.
But since we will also send a pdf version to the ITU Secretariat, you can
send me your logos* tomorrow by12pmEST* so I can also add it to that pdf
version. Thank you

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Anne Jellema <anne at webfoundation.org>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues
>
> As you know, a fluid working group was formed after the IGF to try to come
> up with joint recommendations for the ITU Plenipot. We produced the open
> letter on transparency and participation in the Plenipot process itself,
> which many of you signed (thank you!). Our second and harder task was to
> develop positions on some of the most important substantive issues before
> the conference. The output of this second phase of our work is a 7 page
> lobby document that is now available for endorsement for the next 24 hours
> at:
>
> http://bestbits.net/itu-plenipot-notes
>
> The fluid working group struggled to obtain the conference proposals on
> which to base our analysis and recommendations, both because of the ITU's
> restrictions on document access and because many Member States submitted
> their proposals quite late in the day. As a result, our drafting process
> has taken us hard up against the start of the Plenipot itself.
>
> It is now very urgent to get this text in front of delegations, so we are
> opening it for endorsements rather than comment. If however someone has a
> red flag, "absolutely can't live with it" issue that prevents them from
> signing on, they should email me personally in the next 24 hours to propose
> an edit(s) to resolve this issue, and I will consult the other members of
> the ITU fluid working group on whether to accept this edit.
>
> Due to the lack of time for comment and consensus, we are not presenting
> these recommendations in the name of Best Bits or on behalf of civil
> society in general but only on behalf of the specific organisations
> endorsing.
>
> If you would like your organisation to be listed, please send your logo to
> Carolina Rossini (crossini at publicknowledge.org) by 22:30 CET (16:30 EST)
> tomorrow, 21 Oct.
>
> Best wishes
> Anne
>
> --
> Anne Jellema
> CEO
> +27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
> +1 202 684 6885 (US)
> @afjellema
>
> *World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington
> DC, 20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
> Twitter: @webfoundation*

*Carolina Rossini *
*Vice President, International Policy*