[bestbits] US style Multistakeholderism

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 14 10:14:19 EDT 2014

On Monday 13 October 2014 11:39 PM, David Cake wrote:
> Seemed to almost entirely be a criticism of the US govts hypocrisy in
> talking up its commitment to multi-stakeholderism while simultaneously
> pursuing lobbyist led goals by other means.
> As a criticism of US govt hypocrisy, its fine.

Thanks David, that was the primary purpose of the posting.

> As a criticism of multi-stakeholderism, its incoherent.

If it is just incoherence that is your problem, you may like to read the
following rather well argued and supported critique of
multistakeholderism (MSism)

"State of Davos: The camel's nose in the tents of global governance"
http://www.tni.org/sites/www.tni.org/files/download/state_of_davos_chapter.pdf

What is interesting is that it critiques practically every currently
practised aspect of MSism in the global IG space, without ever referring
to IG. Shows how MSism is not some special state of governance
associated with the Internet's oft-claimed 'special nature'. It was not
even invented by the IG guys... It was invented by hard neolibs of Davos
kind, for obvious reasons. This is a governance model proposed by the 1
% , which IG civil society, for a variety of reasons, has fallen prey to.

Equal footing MSism that actually aspires to participate equally in
public policy decision making came to the IG space after it begun to get
spoken in the WEF, especially in the Global Redesign Initiative of the
WEF. I think that it started to make clear claims in the IG space around
2009-10. Till then people were mostly just seeking/ ensuring no 'new'
policy development or no 'new' policy institution development. It is
post Davos theorisations of the Global Redesign Initiative kind that the
brave new claim begun to be made in the IG space that corporates should
actually participate in public policy decision making as equals. The
recent misadventures of IG MSism towards Davos and WEF were rather an
obvious thing waiting to happen. They are the same thing, more or less,
with some good spin applied here and there, which would be applied right
now since the first - over brash - effort of Davos to take over the
global IG space suffered some set back. It was just a tactical mistake.
It will be corrected. Powers are with them!

Happy reading..

parminder