[bestbits] US style Multistakeholderism

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Mon Oct 13 14:09:05 EDT 2014

Seemed to almost entirely be a criticism of the US govts hypocrisy in talking up its commitment to multi-stakeholderism while simultaneously pursuing lobbyist led goals by other means.
As a criticism of US govt hypocrisy, its fine. As a criticism of multi-stakeholderism, its incoherent.

I particularly like the way it says we should have open and transparent negotiation - and then in the next paragraph says we should exclude Microsoft, Facebook, Google etc. Open, but only to people they like? Essentially, advocating the same behaviour they just decried in the US govt. Openness is like free speech -- you are either for or against it, and if you are only in favour of it for people you like, you aren't for it.

And, of course, the author says it is terrible if there are back room, secret negotiations - but also says lets exclude the largest commercial organisations from open and transparent negotiations, meaning non-public efforts would be their only option. Anyone think that recipe works?

But hey, look at the solution the author proposes - just change the entire economy so most commercial organisations are organised as workers collectives. Anyone else think that should be our focus for action, just hope we can replace Facebook, Google, etc with workers collectives?

Cheers

David