[bestbits] Civil Society Representatives on IGF Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG) 2015

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Fri Oct 10 17:33:41 EDT 2014

The Internet Governance Civil Society Co ordination Group (CSCG) is
pleased to be able to inform you of our recommendations as regards civil
society representation on MAG 2015.

As you know, CSCG is a "??coalition of coalitions"?? of the major civil
society groups involved in the internet governance arena and associated
areas.(see details below).  Our role in working together is to ensure a
co-ordinated civil society response and conduit when it comes to making
civil society appointments to outside bodies.

*Nominations for 2015 MAG civil society representatives*

After each of our coalition members published a Call for Nominations
within their coalition, each member shortlisted the names from their
individual coalition (if necessary) which would be further considered
for endorsement.  The CSCG Nominating Committee considered 29 names
short-listed for final discussion, with the following criteria.

1. Past record of active engagement as part of civil society groups
working on internet governance issues, acting or speaking out
assertively on behalf of public interest concerns.

2 Willingness and commitment to consult with and report back to CS
networks (including beyond those focused on internet governance where
appropriate) on MAG discussions.

3. Previous attendee at IGF at a global or regional level.

4. Willing, available and able to participate effectively and
constructively in the MAG deliberations.

In considering names, our nominating committee firstly considered the
advice from the Secretariat that 10 people considered to be civil
society representatives were ending their terms this year -?? an
unusually high number on an annual basis. Accordingly, we have selected
10 names for new members as outlined below.

We recommend the following 10 names as the new representatives for civil
society (in alphabetical order). Each will need to submit a full
application with further details pertaining to their suitability as MAG
members.

*1.*       *Sunil Abraham*(India)

*2.*       *Renata Avila*(Guatemala)

*3.*       *Oh Byoungil*(South Korea)

*4.*       *John Dada*(Nigeria)

*5.*       *Avri Doria *(USA)

*6.*       *Stuart Hamilton *(United Kingdom)

*7.*       *Lea Kaspar *(Croatia).

*8.*       *Jak SM Kee*(Malaysia).

*9.*       *Ephraim Percy Kenyanito *(Kenya)

*10.*   *Virginia Paque*(Venezuela)

 We also considered the remaining representatives whose three year terms
have not expired, and we conclude that the only civil society person
whose term has not expired is Fatima Cambronero (Argentina), We consider
Fatima to be an excellent representative, and have no hesitation in
supporting the continuation of her term of engagement. Accordingly, we
also endorse the continued involvement of *Fatima Cambronero*
(Argentina) as the only remaining civil society representative carried
forward to 2015 MAG. In doing so we note that there are no other
continuing members of MAG who are civil society representatives.

In addition to the above names, the CSCG has considered a wide range of
very talented civil society representatives it was not able to include
in its recommendations. We are very thankful for all the applicants,
despite their making our job much harder, and will advise the
Secretariat that, should IGF require names of suitable and accomplished
additional representatives in providing overall regional balance, we
would be very pleased to provide additional names in confidence of
further civil society people who could make an outstanding contribution
to the 2015 MAG.

We will be in contact with the selected CS representatives shortly to
discuss some brief biographical details for our letter to the IGF
Secretariat, and other details of their nominations. In the mean time,
we thank everyone for their participation and co-operation in this
exercise and believe that this effort has yielded some outstanding
candidates to represent civil society.

Sincerely

*2015 CSCG MAG Nominating Committee*

Norbert Bollow, Just Net Coalition representative

Mawaki Chango, Internet Governance Caucus representative

Robin Gross, Non Commercial Stakeholders Group representative

Jeremy Malcolm, Best Bits Coalition representative

Chat Garcia Ramilo, Association for Progressive Communications
representative

Ian Peter, Independent Chair

Note: Virginia Paque (Diplo Foundation) withdrew from Nominating
Committee discussions before nominations were opened and criteria
developed, as she intended to stand as a candidate. Mandeep Tiwana
(Civicus) also did not participate in the Nominating Committee.

*Member Organisations of Internet Governance Civil Society Co ordination
Group -?? brief descriptions*

·         Association for Progressive Communications,  an international
membership-based network founded in 1990 who work together in using ICTs
to empower and support others to build strategic communities and promote
easy and affordable access to a free and open internet.

·         Best Bits, a network of civil society organisations from
across the world, who come together to share and collaborate on
individual and joint initiatives in support of human rights and other
broadly shared civil society interests in Internet governance.

·         Civicus, a global civil society alliance with over 1000
members in 120 countries

·         Diplo Foundation, which has a focus on assisting participants
from small and developing states to build the capacity to engage
effectively in Internet Governance and diplomacy. Since 2003, Diploâ??s
Internet Governance Capacity Building Programme (IGCBP) has involved
over 1500 professionals and activists from 163 states.

·         Internet Governance Caucus, an organisation with over 200
organisational and individual members founded in 2004 to specifically
address emerging internet governance issues.

·         Just Net Coalition, formed in 2014, a global coalition with
specific interests in democracy, human rights and social justice.

·         Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group, (NCSG) an organization of
more than 400 non-commercial organizations and individuals who develop
Internet policy through participation in ICANN's policy development
process.  NCSG promotes noncommercial interests in the formulation of
ICANN policy including human rights, academic, development, educational,
and cultural interests.